News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Seven Vows of the Prophet...

Started by Shadeling, January 05, 2003, 05:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadeling

Do they think magic is bad like the Imperial religion? Also, in what ways would the Tataar Horde taint the religion...Any thoughts?
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Jake Norwood

Hey-

These are really good questions, and this is a thread that I really want to see discussion on. Here's my 2c.

I would say that they do think it's bad, but that what they define as "magic" may be a little less strict...there isn't as much of a "NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!" element in the 7 vows, as I see it. I do think that they connect magic to the Defiler, though (and probably think the 3-in-1 use it!).

As for the Tatars...oh yeah, I'm sure they're take on the 7 vows is very...customized.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Brian Leybourne

Yeah, interesting.

My take is that they have an even stronger hatred/distrust of magic than the westeners.

After all, every follower is directly sworn to fight against the betrayer and the nine. Their belief is that Xanar fought using "truth" against the "vile sorcery" of the nine (and won, ok, he died in the process, but at least we know that truth is stronger than sorcery, right?). Jake's right in that none of the vows actually mention magic, but IMHO that's because the vows are actually guidelines in how to live your life, and the living of your life is for one purpose - to battle the evilness of sorcery/the nine.

Having said that; like all "good" religions, the point sometimes gets lost over time and it seems to me that they pretty much hate all Westeners now, forgetting who the real "foe" is. Some real world religions have the same problem.

The Tataar are a prime example of what I'm talking about :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion