News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Initial Opinions about CAH

Started by urbwar, April 26, 2003, 07:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbwar

Quote from: Cynthia Celeste MillerThanks, Urbwar!  I hope you enjoy the read.  Let us know your opinions.

Having read through Channel 5 now, I figured I would post some opinions about CAH.

First off, this book is such an easy to read book. Some rpg books tend to grate on you when you read them, and you have to read it in increments. CAH is simple to read through, and the only reason it took me so long was because I'd read it before going to bed, and only get so far before my tired eyes wouldn't let me read anymore (which was really annoying!)

The rules are pretty easy, and I like the flexibility of SA's. The combat system is pretty straightforward, and makes for a good cinematic combat system (I know someone on rpg.net commented on doing a proposal for 80's action tv shows, and I think it would work too).

I like the rules for goons, and the special SA for bad guys to have goon squads.

Reading through the book, a few ideas popped into my head for series beyond my initial one (doing a gargoyles style game). I am going to sit down and write down one or two ideas, then probably post them here (and on the mailing list) to get feedback on what people think of them.

I have to say that CAH joins a short set of games (along with Arrowflight, Buffy and Santa's Soldiers) to come out since last year that I really want to run.
Join the Buffy Rpg Mailing list:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/btvsrpg-eden/

Cynthia Celeste Miller

QuoteFirst off, this book is such an easy to read book. Some rpg books tend to grate on you when you read them, and you have to read it in increments. CAH is simple to read through, and the only reason it took me so long was because I'd read it before going to bed, and only get so far before my tired eyes wouldn't let me read anymore (which was really annoying!)

I know the feeling.  Reading while sleepy can cause tremendous frustration.

Any case, I was told early on (before I was ever able to get anything published) that my writing style was too conversational and would never sell.  That statement stuck with me for years and I constantly found myself forcing my writing to be less conversational.  Eventually, I decided that I'm going to write games in a tone that I enjoy writing and reading.

I'm glad to see that others don't mind.

QuoteThe rules are pretty easy, and I like the flexibility of SA's. The combat system is pretty straightforward, and makes for a good cinematic combat system (I know someone on rpg.net commented on doing a proposal for 80's action tv shows, and I think it would work too).

I could see it working too, though I think Vice Squad handles that genre particularly well, from what I've read of it (I really must purchase that).  In any case, we could always name it Prime-Time Action Hour. LOL

QuoteI like the rules for goons, and the special SA for bad guys to have goon squads.

Thanks.  I'm a big fan of condensed rules for pud-troops so it was only natural that I wrote my own for CAH.  I'm quite happy with them too.

QuoteI have to say that CAH joins a short set of games (along with Arrowflight, Buffy and Santa's Soldiers) to come out since last year that I really want to run.

Wow!  That's a fantastic complement, Urbwar!  Thank you kindly.
Cynthia Celeste Miller
President, Spectrum Games
www.spectrum-games.com