News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Poleaxe with blunt head and spike tip?

Started by Shadeling, January 08, 2003, 04:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadeling

The proficiency says Poleaxes are often adorned with a blunt head on the side or spike on top or both. What would these do in terms of damage and what-not...
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Jake Norwood

use the piercing stats from the warhammer for the back spike and the stats for the short spear for the top spike if included in the design.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Shadeling

Quote from: Jake Norwooduse the piercing stats from the warhammer for the back spike and the stats for the short spear for the top spike if included in the design.

Jake

If the back part is the blunt instead of spike, would it use the warhammer's blunt stats?

Jake Norwood

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Shadeling

Mokkurkalfe

This would make a poleaxe very, very good. It's cheap, versatile and comes with lot's o' maneuvers. Cool.
Anyway, is there still an ATN of 7(Warhammer has a 6)?
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Ron Edwards

Hello,

This thread is threatening the fate of my immortal soul. Let's see if this helps.

If I use the blunt side of the axe, how does it work?
- Use the mace damage, using your axe proficiency for the dice.

If I use the haft of an axe, how does it work?
- Use the club damage, using your axe proficiency for the dice.

If I choke a guy with the chain of a flail, how does it work?
- Use the garrote damage, using your flail proficiency for the dice.

If I use an arrow like a dagger, how does it work?
- Use the stiletto damage, using your bow proficiency at a penalty, or the dagger proficiency if you have one.

What I'm saying is that it's a very simple principle that applies to any and all combat in TROS - mix and match across whatever categories are necessary to get the job done. Also, use a great deal of shared aesthetic agreement rather than looking at a chart when deciding on how to mix and match, because ultimately, the proliferation of charts only yields more instances of potential crossover.

The map is not the terrain. The chart is not the experience of playing.

Best,
Ron

Henry Fitch

Now now, Ron, be nice. Nothing wrong with wanting to know how Jake'd do it.
formerly known as Winged Coyote

Jake Norwood

On the other hand, that is how I do it...

Jake

Shadeling

Exactly what I was doing, looking for feedback. thanks again Jake

toli

Quote from: Jake Norwooduse the piercing stats from the warhammer for the back spike and the stats for the short spear for the top spike if included in the design.

Jake

Would you add +1 damage to these stats (over the war hammer) given that the pole axe is two handed?  

A related question,  I remember a question (thread) about half-poling and whether or not it is possible.  I don't remember there ever being an answer.  Can one half-pole like half swording?  

NT
NT

Jake Norwood

QuoteWould you add +1 damage to these stats (over the war hammer) given that the pole axe is two handed?

A related question, I remember a question (thread) about half-poling and whether or not it is possible. I don't remember there ever being an answer. Can one half-pole like half swording?

You certainly could add +1, although I might not (just because it's a secondary use of the weapon). Hard to say what's more "correct."

All poling is "half-poling," really. I wouldn't add any of the bonuses listed in the Half-sword section, but I would consider using the half-sword side of the counters.

Jake