News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

InPotter's

Started by Zebigone, January 07, 2003, 04:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zebigone

Hi,

I'm thinking about adapting InSpectres to a Harry Potter game. I think most elements are already here. Players would be students at Hogwarts (probably belonging to the same house), and they would do investigations like Harry and his friends.

For the characters, I think the most important thing to do is to replace Technology by Magic, as wizards do magic and do not understand anything to muggle's technology. In order to have more character personalization, one could use for instance two talents and one drawback (think of Hermione, which is good at book stuff, muggle stuff and ridiculous on a broomstick).

Concerning magic, I'm not sure about how to handle it. Magic as a characteristic is a good thing, but what about casting spells ? (even though in Harry Potter, not so many spells are cast, it's not the most important aspect of this universe).

Now, let's turn to a replacement to franchise. I think a funny idea would be to replace it by characteristics about the common room of their house (so that I propose the requirement that all players belong to the same house). For instance, the Gryffindor's common room would be poorly equipped, but with a few books and a bit messy (this would resemble more to the locker of In-Speckers than to the bank). On the contrary, Slytherin's common room is top equipped (you know, the Quidditch team has the newest brooms), probably some nice gym equipment, but very few books (can Crabbe and Goyle even read ?).

An equivalent to job dice could be house points, so that if the characters act very well, then earn their house a few points, and if they do not act well enough, they loose house points, since even though they solved the mystery and saved the world, the teachers consider that they broke too many rules.

So, here are a few ideas about adapting Inspectres to Harry Potter. What do think ? I'd be very glad to have some comments and to share ideas.

Olivier

Jared A. Sorensen

Well, at first I read this and went, "Huh..." Then I went, "Hmmm..."

Now I'm thinking, "Hey!" -- I say go for it. :) It sounds like you just need to start writing it. :)
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

gospog

Zebigone,

I had the same idea some weeks back.  And a good idea it is.

You may find the following site useful, it's a Harry Potter Lexicon, and it includes names and descriptions of all the spells:

http://www.i2k.com/~svderark/lexicon/spells_a.html
"A doomed man needs no such elegant footwear."