News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Take a Philosophy...

Started by Bob Richter, January 10, 2003, 07:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Richter

...and make a character. :)

Interesting idea I had. I was working with a character concept, and I came to the philosophy part.

I came up with a (what I thought was a) pretty cool philosophy, and I just thought I'd toss it out and see how folks could integrate it into character concepts.

Okay, so I'm bored. :)

Anyway, the philosophy is this:
"There are no gods, and so it is my lot in life to serve the function they cannot."
So ye wanna go earnin' yer keep with yer sword, and ye think that it can't be too hard...

Shadeling

I like it...now does this character then have the Faith:atheism...or Faith:In self type of SA?

Here is a philosophy I came up with for my fey character:

"Uncovering life's mysteries will bring one closer to TRUE wisdom..."
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Mokkurkalfe

One o' mine:

"If someone hits you, forgive them. If they hit you again, kill them."

One o' my players:

"everyone in this world where created to achieve something. You just have to find out what."
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Ron Edwards

Contrast these:

"Live every moment as if death were imminent."

"Death is irrelevant - cherish life."

Most of the time, they yield similar behaviors - but the brief moments of disconnection make for incredible stories.

Best,
Ron

Henry Fitch

The other day I heard the following, forget where, and it immediately made me want to make an Angharadi-immigrant thief character.

"See all, ear all, say nowt;
Eat all, sup all, pay nowt;
An if evar tha does owt for nowt;
Always do it fer thee sen."

Little long for a philosophy, perhaps, and you'd want it to get more heroic over time.
formerly known as Winged Coyote

spunky

Great thread.  Thinking about it, I tried to think of what a Buddhist would do. Having acheived enlightenment (freedom from desire, for this discussion), your SAs would become really limited -- pretty much a high Conscience, which could represent Compassion, or just Faith (Budhhism).  You couldn't use any Passions or Drives once you became enlightened, because those things are linked to Desire.

On the other hand, playing a Buddhist (or similarly styled fantasy religion) character trying to find enlightenment would be pretty cool -- a process of resolving all your SAs, until all you have left is Faith.

My fav philosophy is Stoicism, best defined in THE WICKED DAY by Mary Stewart: "Live what life brings.  Die what death comes."
Exterminate all rational thought.
                 ---Wm. S. Burroughs

Shadeling

Quote from: spunkyGreat thread.  Thinking about it, I tried to think of what a Buddhist would do. Having acheived enlightenment (freedom from desire, for this discussion), your SAs would become really limited -- pretty much a high Conscience, which could represent Compassion, or just Faith (Budhhism).  You couldn't use any Passions or Drives once you became enlightened, because those things are linked to Desire.

On the other hand, playing a Buddhist (or similarly styled fantasy religion) character trying to find enlightenment would be pretty cool -- a process of resolving all your SAs, until all you have left is Faith.

My fav philosophy is Stoicism, best defined in THE WICKED DAY by Mary Stewart: "Live what life brings.  Die what death comes."

Wouldn't a Buddhist monk have a Passion:loyalty to monastary? I think he would even still have conscience after enlightenment....but just my opinion.
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Henry Fitch

If Buddhism is really about destroying your emotional connections to the material world, I'm inclined to think the TRoS system is inherently anti-Buddhist. Not in a prejudice sense, mind, it just strongly discourages that type of character. Maybe I misunderstand either Buddhism or TRoS, though.
formerly known as Winged Coyote