News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Singularity - game remake

Started by gizem, August 14, 2001, 02:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gizem

I finally updated Singularity, my cyberpunk game/setting.

This version includes;
1. Slight changes in the setting chapters (first 4 chapters)
2. Improved 'Characters' chapter
3. Feedback: A totally new and completely different game mechanic in the 'Mechanics' chapter

Here's the link:

http://peregrjnus.tripod.com/singularity/">Singularity

I am hungry for comments.

Gizem

contracycle

I think

"The world is more liberal than ever before, and the new world order of global capitalism reigns supreme."

... is a contradiction in terms, as is:

"This is a time of forgotten ideologies, free trade and international peace."

Cyberpunk settings are a strange beast; inherently part apocalyptic prophecy (social collapse is implicit in all/most instances) and yet seldom spend much time exanmining how or why this comes about or where it will go.  I suspect this is because the RPG market is dominated by the "middle" classes, and thus at at least one remove from any actually existing struggle being carried out in/by society at large.  Accordingly, Cyberpunk RPG's have a tendency to carry out their future projection according to the entrenched "neo-liberal consensus" and in fact reinforce that pseudo-consensus.  Thus the irony of Cyberpunk RPG is that it purports to tackle an at least dramatically satisfying social conflict, but becuase it cannot express the premises of that conflict (indeed, is not aware of them) it can only offer a model for that conflict that originates directly and unconsciously from one of the contending forces, and thus exhibits no tension-inducing conflict.

Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci