News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A stab or shot at Kozak hand rifle

Started by Shadeling, January 15, 2003, 04:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadeling

I was thinking of statting up the Kozak rifle mentioned in the book. I was thinking something like a 6-9 round prep time. Seem accurate? What do you think Jake?

I was also going with an ATN of 6 or 7, with +1 ATN per 5 yards, and maybe ST/DR of 5/ST+2.

Thoughts, comments...
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Jake Norwood

I remember hearing (and actually loading) a black powder rifle in about 30 sec tops. I would base prep time on some actual number  like that. (That means about 15 or 20 rounds if 30 sec is right).

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Shadeling

Quote from: Jake NorwoodI remember hearing (and actually loading) a black powder rifle in about 30 sec tops. I would base prep time on some actual number  like that. (That means about 15 or 20 rounds if 30 sec is right).

Jake

Ok...how about the ATN/ damage figures I had...sound good to you?

Jake Norwood

Off the top of my head they seem pretty good.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Shadeling

Quote from: Jake NorwoodOff the top of my head they seem pretty good.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback.

Valamir

Soldiers in the black powder days (when they were more concerned with volume of fire over accuracy) were expected to be able to load and fire 3 steady rounds per minute.  That's the norm, for an entire unit firing volleys.  I've seen modern users manage to duplicate that rate.  It would not be unreasonable to assume that a particularly adept gunman could do 4 or even 5.  

Now that number is for flintlocks.  Wheel locks would be about the same except for the periodic need to rewind the wheel.  For match locks you might want to drop it down a round or so which would be about 1 per 30 sec as noted.

Ashren Va'Hale

good black powder riflemen could fire off roughly 3 rounds a minute accurately (aka aiming). just want to confirm the previous.
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Ace

A little OT (just a bit) but do any of you guys know how long it takes to load a black powder muzzle loading pistol like a flint lock or wheel lock?

on On topic, as far as the muzzle loader goes they are in game terms fire and forget weapons

30 seconds is about twenty exchanges IIRC, an eternity basically

What I would do is treat matchlock as a proficiency. Once 30 seconds have been spent prepping the weapon you start aiming and the CP's start building up.

I don't know exactly how many CP's over how long though

MikeSands

Quote from: ValamirSoldiers in the black powder days (when they were more concerned with volume of fire over accuracy) were expected to be able to load and fire 3 steady rounds per minute.  That's the norm, for an entire unit firing volleys.  I've seen modern users manage to duplicate that rate.  It would not be unreasonable to assume that a particularly adept gunman could do 4 or even 5.

Good British army units could get 6 (musket) shots a minute.