News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Question About 1st Aid

Started by feanor, January 08, 2003, 07:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durgil

Quote from: Jake NorwoodTo shorten the rolling process you could just say -2 HT for every failed roll, and only roll every 30 sec.

Jake
Thanks Jake.  That sounds good.  Any thoughts about bleeding wounds closing up on their own, or would you say that if it is large enough to be a BL 1, then a character could conceivably bleed to death given enough time and no attempt to stop the bleeding (i.e. the character, who was on his own, received the wound just before getting knocked out for several hours)?
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: DurgilI know that the Book says that a Round is one to two seconds in length, but I have always taken that to mean that each exchange is approximately a second long.  There are typically two exchanges per round, therefore the majority of rounds are two seconds long.  In most situations, rounds aren't even discussed, like with spells.  Everything is talked about in terms of seconds.  

This is off topic to the first aid discussion, but I just wanted to say that this is exactly how I run things in TROS.

Treating each exchange as a second means that most combat rounds are 2 seconds, except red/red ones which are just the one, as you said. This makes it really easy to adjudicate when things like magic and missile fire take place, useful when you have characters firing into melee combat etc.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Mokkurkalfe

Just to be picky, it's impossible to bleed to death from a BL 1 wound, since you will succeed with 100% of your rolls(1 or higher with a d10).
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Durgil

Quote from: MokkurkalfeJust to be picky, it's impossible to bleed to death from a BL 1 wound, since you will succeed with 100% of your rolls(1 or higher with a d10).
You got me there :-).  I can only hope that my comment doesn't cause this disscussion to degrade like the TN11 one did!

Have a good one, Joakim!!
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.

Jake Norwood

I think that if any BL total that doesn't exceed the HT score will probably seal up on its own without much more than standing still for a while, and maybe a little pressure. It's a gross generalization, but it works.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Shadeling

Quote from: MokkurkalfeJust to be picky, it's impossible to bleed to death from a BL 1 wound, since you will succeed with 100% of your rolls(1 or higher with a d10).

Actually 1's would technically be botching...but 2's or higher will succeed.
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Durgil

Quote from: ShadelingActually 1's would technically be botching...but 2's or higher will succeed.
Inorder to fumble or botch, you have to roll two 1s with no successes, therefore a TN of 1 would have a 100% chance of rolling a success with each dice rolled.
Tony Hamilton

Shadeling

Quote from: Durgil
Quote from: ShadelingActually 1's would technically be botching...but 2's or higher will succeed.
Inorder to fumble or botch, you have to roll two 1s with no successes, therefore a TN of 1 would have a 100% chance of rolling a success with each dice rolled.

I thought 1's never count as successes...
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

toli

Quote from: Durgil
I'm no EMT or Doctor, but both of these examples seem a little fast.  Maybe there should be a different frequency of rolls when no longer in a combat situation.

I took an EMT course long ago.  It all depends on the artery.  The two main surface arteries I would worry about are your carotids and femorals.  The carotids are in you neck.  The femorals are in your upper leg (near your groin).  With a good cut to the carotid you wouldn't have more than a minute or so.  Same sort of thing for the femorals.  A break to the femoral bone (upper leg) is considered life threatening because of the posibility of also cutting the femoral artery.  

I would be very worried about a brachial arter too (upper arm).

NT
NT