News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Per, MP et. al.

Started by Spartan, January 17, 2003, 03:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

Since Per is part of a character's Aim attribute, should one recalculate Aim (and hence MP) if one incurs a Per penalty, say from wearing a helm?  Or do most people not bother?

Secondly, what are the chances of a thrown knife hitting hilt-first?  I assume the chances are less for a knife designed for throwing, but I could use a ballpark figure here, for both "throwing knives" and thrown daggers.

Thanks,
-Mark
And remember kids... Pillage first, THEN burn.

Nick the Nevermet

My vote is to re-calculate aim.  It wouldn't take that long to do, and it fits.  Of course, others may have different opinions.

I no absolutely nothing about throwing knives, so I'll let someone else answer the second part :)

Overdrive

Probably rolling zero damage (from attack successes+ST+damage - defence successes+TO) means something like this. It really doesn't matter, does it? I mean, if it does damage, it hits the blade first, and if it doesn't, well, it doesn't much matter if the dagger hit the target or not.

Antti

Kalvo

The chance for the blade hitting would mainly come from the balance of the knife, especially on longer distances (Ever tried throwing darts "backwards"?). Thrower's skill comes into account too but for knives not designed for throwing I'd allow at most a fifty/fifty possibility for damage.
Though throwing a heavy knife hilt first might have its uses too...

S.

I have some experience with knife throwing and have studied that art for some time.
A good knife thrower will hit with the blade first.
He practices throwing to different distances and knows intuitively how many times the knife has to spin to hit correctly to the distance he is throwing. This is one reason why the range of thrown knife is quite short.
If the knife is not designed for throwing and the user is not familiar with it I'd decrease the range increment although I find the increments (3 and 4) quite realistic now.

But how about throwing those swords? Not very realistic or practical but ah so cool in the movies.

Jake Norwood

Re: Per

I don't, mostly for fluidity's sake. My personal opinion is that the CP and the Derived addtributes don't change when temporary penalties hit the main attributes, but that permanent changes to the Temp. and Ment. Attributes do effect them. The idea is that manipulation of actual, physical dice from the CP on the table reduces the need for in-combat paperwork to almost nil.

Re: Thrown daggers

I think that the hilt hitting instead of the tip is possible (more with some knives than others). Perphaps, for those intersted, you could work it so that if you win by only 1 or 2 successes with some knives (those not balanced for throwing) than the damage is blunt, but if you hit with more, than it's piercing.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Spartan

Quote from: Jake NorwoodRe: Thrown daggers

I think that the hilt hitting instead of the tip is possible (more with some knives than others). Perphaps, for those intersted, you could work it so that if you win by only 1 or 2 successes with some knives (those not balanced for throwing) than the damage is blunt, but if you hit with more, than it's piercing.

Thanks, I'll try that and see how I like it! :)

-Mark
And remember kids... Pillage first, THEN burn.