News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Using CAH for Galaxy Rangers

Started by Michael Hopcroft, January 21, 2003, 07:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

ORDINARY kids and teenagers, yes, but squeaky-clean Barbie and Ken clones no...

There was a series of novels about players caught as their characters, in a far from squeaky-clean world, I forget the name and can't spot the books right away. More interesting, but not so cartoon-like...

Wulf

EDIT: Joel Rosenburg's Guardians of the Flame series...

Slant

Yeaaaaaah, I remember Guardians of the Flame.  Main characters actually died in the series, too.  I particularly liked the dragon.  They really weren't "kids" though; they were college students.  In the D&D cartoon I think they were supposed to be between ages 10-16.

Goose

I have found a guy on ebay who has the whole series on VHS tape for sale.  I am getting one!
"Dice, grant us your friendship; have pity on us.  Do not bewitch us with the force of your terrible sorcery.  Lay to rest your anger, your hatred.  Let someone else fall into the trap of the dice."  -- Gamer's Lament

Valamir

Guardians of the Flame actually tackled some fairly non fun issues.  
One "main character" died in the first few moments of the book.  One was raped and never emotionally recovered.  One had to face the fact that he enjoyed the fantasy world more than the real one (where he was crippled) and that he didn't really WANT to go back.  And the over all main character of the story...freedom fighter / world savior type died in the end, his mission started but unfillfilled.

Pretty excellent books, I thought, though I haven't read them since highschool.

Goose

Quote from: ValamirGuardians of the Flame actually tackled some fairly non fun issues.

God, I have not seen those since High school either!  I only got to read like the first 3 books.  Really well writen though.  May have to see if I can find some copies!
"Dice, grant us your friendship; have pity on us.  Do not bewitch us with the force of your terrible sorcery.  Lay to rest your anger, your hatred.  Let someone else fall into the trap of the dice."  -- Gamer's Lament