News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Started by Jack Spencer Jr, January 28, 2003, 11:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Spencer Jr

I recently caught this flick and it just struck me that it was a Sorcerer story even though there were no supernatural elements at all. Anyone else think this?

Spooky Fanboy

It definitely has the right attitude for a Sorcerer story. Or an Unknown Armies story.
Proudly having no idea what he's doing since 1970!

Ron Edwards

Hey there,

The Sorcerer interpretation would involve the difficulty of giving up his "insights" for the sake of love and social acceptance.

In many ways, Pi and Dangerous Minds are the same movies with the protagonists making the same decision but with different Humanity outcomes. In the former, the connection to the "demon" (pi) is so strong that his Humanity hits 0, even though he rejects it. In the latter, the Humanity turns out a different way (different descriptor too: love).

The Unknown Armies interpretation, I think, would require a somewhat inter-session play element based on his decision to give up the obsessive behavior. In other words, the game mechanics don't permit this; it's handled through the therapy and so forth in a between-session kind of way. The crucial decision by the character would be made out of play.

Best,
Ron