News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Errata item?

Started by Valamir, January 25, 2003, 12:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valamir

Or am I just confused.

Combat Example Question 1.  Page 88.  Geralt successfully performs a Duck and Weave and Stefan loses 3CP as a result, because Stefan's attack had been 5 dice and the duck and weave causes a loss of 1/2 the dice used on the attack rounded up.  

Ok, in the next exchange Geralt, who had a combat pool of 15 and has already spent 9, spends his last 6 dice.  Stefan responds by spending his last 4 dice.  However:  according to page 87 Stefan has a Combat Pool of 13 reduced to 9 with Armor (full suit chain -2, pothelm -1, heater -1).  He used 5 dice on the attack that Geralt ducked.  By allowing him to roll 4 dice (9-5) is the example forgetting to deduct the 3CP Stefan should have lost from Geralt's duck?
---------

Combat Example Question 2.  page 88.  Geralt has hit Stefan for a Level 2 cutting would to zone III and rolled 3 on the d6 location roll.  The example text says this is a BL 5, Shock 3, Pain 6-WP wound to the upper abs.  However, when I check the table on page 236 a roll of 3 on zone III is the lower abs not the upper and a level 2 wound is BL 3, Shock 4, Pain 6-WP.  Is the example off, or am I failing my "read tables" skill check?  If the table is right then Stefan should only have 5 dice in the next round not 6.

---------

Combat Example Question 3.  89.  The above wound was the second exchange of round 1.  Round 2 begins at the top of page 89 but Stefan makes no Blood Loss roll.  According to the Blood Loss rules on page 81 the BL roll should be made at the beginning of each round.  Is this simply missed in the example or am I missing some pertinent detail?

----------

Combat Example Question 4 Page 89.  At the beginning of round 3 at the bottom of page 89, Stefan does roll for Blood Loss.  But the example gives the TN for the END roll as being 2.  Page 81 isn't completely explicit but I read it as saying the TN of the END roll should equal the current BL total.  Which should be either 3 (from the table) or 5 (from earlier in the example).  Where does TN 2 come from?

If this was covered already I apologize, but it isn't in the current errata on the site.

Jake Norwood

Nah, Ralph, you just busted me is all. Good call on all of those, and your guesses are correct as to what it should have been (that's my take on first glance). I'll update the errata page.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Valamir

Cool.  I was beginning to think I had completely missed some important section of rules somewheres.  Fortuneately I've learned more about how TROS combat works mechanically from playing Brian's combat sim than reading the rules 6 times :-)  Its fabulous.

Brian Leybourne

You know, I never get sick of hearing that.

No really, all modesty etc aside, the Combat Sim was supposed to give people a good feel for TROS combat, and judging by the amazing feedback I get, it's done/doing it's job.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

tauman

I have to say, I really love the Sim, as it let me see right away how the combat system works 9and why I love it). Among other things, I took an armored warrior against a giant--he died from the giant's first blow. It was awesome:

Lord Berrak knew at once that he had found the cause of North County's devastation.  Over the hilltop stepped a giant armed with an enormous club--a small tree, really. At the sight and smell of the giant, his horse spooked and fled down the hill towards the valley and the ruined village.

His armor was the finest in all of Arcia, each plate perfectly fitted and carefully tempered for the correct combination of strength and flexibility. No expense was spared in its construction and it had taken the best armorers in the kingdom months to complete. His sword was of keen edge and had served him well in many battles, sitting on his right hand as he carved out his dukedom from the untamed north. On his shield was a tower over a grain of wheat. Lord Berrak had brought civilization to the north and his coat of arms reflected his pride in that accomplishment.

Lord Berrak raised his shield a took a ready position to face the giant as it moved toward him. Without a sound, the giant raised its club, swinging it in a broad diagonal arc at the lord. Shield raised, Lord Berrak tried to step out of range of the club as it swooped down it him. The club connected, ruining shield, armor, and body, and Lord Berrak's lifeless corpse landed in the grass a few yards away...

--tauman