News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Some Publishing Format Questions

Started by ace pilot, February 03, 2003, 01:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ace pilot

Hello all,

I wanted to get folks' opinions on couple of points: The writing for my RPG is going well, I've started playtesting, I'm holding the artists' meeting later this week, and the web designer is working on the info/teaser page.  Now, I'm putting some thought towards publishing format.  I'd like to put out a free 40 page PDF version (enough to generate a character and to have the basic rules), an 80 page PDF version for a nominal cost (with the complete rules), and a 160 page print version with all the bells and whistles (rules, game universe background, intro, 3 initial adventures, etc.)

First, how robust is the market for pay PDFs?  Would it be better just to release the 40 page version and the 160 page version?

Second, would the 80 page version cannibalize sales of the 160 page version?

Many thanks in advance!

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: ace pilotI'd like to put out a free 40 page PDF version (enough to generate a character and to have the basic rules), an 80 page PDF version for a nominal cost (with the complete rules), and a 160 page print version with all the bells and whistles (rules, game universe background, intro, 3 initial adventures, etc.)

First, how robust is the market for pay PDFs?  Would it be better just to release the 40 page version and the 160 page version?

Second, would the 80 page version cannibalize sales of the 160 page version?
quote]

Hey, Ace.

My suggestions:

1) Slim down the free version to as short as possible.
2) Offer the medium sized version for sale.
3) Offer the bells & whistles for free on your site as a supplement (free or for pay, depending on the content). I charge 1/2 the main book price for a supplement.

- J
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com