News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Is Origins worth it?

Started by Michael Hopcroft, February 03, 2003, 11:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Hopcroft

I'm pondering whether it would be worthwhile for me to attend Origins. I went to Origins last year believing it to be essential, only to find I did little business there. On the other hand, I did do some enjoyable gaming there so it might be a good con to go to to have fun and game and be a fan rather than a publisher for a while.

On the other hand, it does sound like it would be useful to have my products represented at Origins even if I don't buy a table.

So what should I think of Origins? Is it too close geographically and in timing to GenCon to be reasonable given that I am committed to both GenCon and the GTS?
Michael Hopcroft Press: Where you go when you want something unique!
http:/www.mphpress.com

Valamir

I 100% am going to Origins.  It is IMO a far more fun and diverse gaming con then GenCon.  But I will be going as a gamer, not a vendor.

philreed

You MUST go to Origins if you're selling a board, card, or wargame.

RPGs are a maybe at Origins. Most people I talked to had poor sales last year. I doubt you would make back your expenses.
------------------------
www.roninarts.com

Mike Holmes

Only you can say if the economics are worth it, Mike. But beyond sales there is the question of exposure, which offsets some of the cost. Still, economically it might not be worth it.

So then you have to ask yourself if the "cost" associated can be offset by all the fun to be had. Hell, I personally might not sell anything at Origins this year, but I'll be damned if I'll miss it.

Perhaps what you need to consider is how to lower your overhead at the Con. If you go, what will be your sales venue? You're not getting a booth by yourself for the one product, are you?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Michael Hopcroft

Which poses the question of how one gets one's product represented at origins by a third party, whether one goes or not.
Michael Hopcroft Press: Where you go when you want something unique!
http:/www.mphpress.com