News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Booth notions

Started by Michael S. Miller, February 05, 2003, 07:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Holmes

Lot's of cool suggestions here. I like Jared's idea with Mike's caveat that we only put shedules on in terms of who is going to be in. It also occurs to me that if a person is in a demo, that a flag on the chart should indicate that. Occasionally you'd lose someone in a corner playing. And it's nice to be able to just look up and see who's doing what.

This sounds like a lot of pushing carboard around to keep track of statuses. As I'm not the greatest presenter, I volunteer to push cardboard around on the sign when I'm not involved with a demo.

While the badges may or may not have name and afilliations, but if they do, they are usually computer printed in the 3 point font called shitappearance. I think we could/should have overlays for these of some sort that states that the person is from the Forge, and who they are. This could include color coded "ask me about game xyz" at the bottom as well, so a person's knowledge and play/run ability could be ascertained at a glance. Perhaps stickers so that they can be added on throuout the Con. Like merit badges.

As Clinton says, you then leave your overlay behind when you go a roaming as an extra indication that you're out, and so they don't get lost(and, of course, so your regular badge is visible again, and you don't have to carry it around). Leave it in your mailbox. Even if we do not have mailboxes for sale, we should have cubbies for each crewmember so that we don't have the problems of last year with people having to stack stuff up under the tables and in the corners. Id' feel more seure knowing I had a little space like that set aside. We should look into some sort of cheap collapsible thing that has space large enough to hold a backpack for each member.

Anyhow, we now have a BF banner, a BF sign to direct traffic, mailboxes, and badge overlay or somesuch. These will, no doubt have color and potentially themes. To avoid a cacophony of appearance on these materials, we should develop a style guide. Perhaps something simple based on Ron's "Jazz Club" idea. A set of colors, and themes, etc to use in prepping these things. Could enhance the presentation dramatically.

What's the banner going to look like?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Valamir

Question.  Since Ron and Clinton made it clear that this cannot use the Forge name, what actually will the official name of our polyglot booth be.

Yes, I know Jurgen will vote for Indie Gaming Ninjas...any other ideas ;-)

GreatWolf

Quote from: Ron EdwardsIt should create much more of a coffee-house or jazz-club kind of atmosphere, which is my model for this year.

I really want people to step into that space and feel as if they've entered a small, distinctive universe, which experientially then expands into something as big or bigger than the Exhibitor hall itself.

First, that is a very cool idea.  In a way, it's what the Wizards booth is like (although on a larger scale).  This sort of layout will encourage folks to come into the booth, hang out, watch/participate in the ongoing demos, and then buy, buy, buy!

That being said, is there any way to encourage this atmosphere?  Bring music?  Set up a coffee pot?  Bring funky decorations?  Just throwing out ideas.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Mike Holmes

There's our theme for this year. Instead of gaming Ninjas like last year, we can be Gaming Improv Jazz Artists. Put a cup of java in one corner of the badge overlay, and a saxaphone in the other. With the booth title (whatever that may be; good pickup Ralph) and member name in some jazzy font. I'll put those together. :-)

I was thinking coffee, too. What's more tradtional in RPG beverages than caffein? Free cup with every purchase? The smell alone will bring people into the booth. (this might have to be done "informally" to avoid problems with licensing and the convention center concessions, if its allowed at all).

OK, now where do we get leather seats from? OK, seriously, is there some way to get reasonable simulacra. Barstools (with the high tables)? I hope at the very least that the furniture is more sturdy than last year's (guys like Knipe and myself were always in danger of ending up on the floor).

Hey, Ron, is there anywhere we can go to see what the layout will look like, what the furniture is like, and what restrictions there are on what can happen at the booth? So we don't start planning stuff we can't possibly do?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Matt Wilson

Quote from: Mike HolmesThere's our theme for this year. Instead of gaming Ninjas like last year, we can be Gaming Improv Jazz Artists. Put a cup of java in one corner of the badge overlay, and a saxaphone in the other. With the booth title (whatever that may be; good pickup Ralph) and member name in some jazzy font. I'll put those together. :-)

I was thinking coffee, too. What's more tradtional in RPG beverages than caffein? Free cup with every purchase? The smell alone will bring people into the booth. (this might have to be done "informally" to avoid problems with licensing and the convention center concessions, if its allowed at all).

OK, now where do we get leather seats from? OK, seriously, is there some way to get reasonable simulacra. Barstools (with the high tables)? I hope at the very least that the furniture is more sturdy than last year's (guys like Knipe and myself were always in danger of ending up on the floor).

Hey, Ron, is there anywhere we can go to see what the layout will look like, what the furniture is like, and what restrictions there are on what can happen at the booth? So we don't start planning stuff we can't possibly do?

Mike

Hey, those are good ideas (according to me, anyway).

I don't know about GenCon, but most shows have online exhibitor manuals where you can check on stuff like furniture rental (anything beyond the basic chairs and skirted tables gets expensive FYI), floor layout, power supply, and all that. Maybe when Ron gets settled he can get a couple people access to that site - if it exists - and divide up some responsibility. One person can take care of furniture, one person can see about a coffee concession And the coffee is definitely doable. Try going to a Java-focused show and missing it. Sometimes you can arrange it via the company that manages the show.

Regarding names related to jazz, there's a place in Seattle called Jazz Alley. Might be something to riff on, like Indie Alley, or something like that.

Ron Edwards

Not to call a halt to all you hepcats, but let me quick-say that furniture and so forth is pricey; we can't bring in our own, for instance. Hell, we're not even allowed to move the stuff, literally.

As for the name: officially, it's the Adept Press, Driftwood Publishing, and two other companies' names Booth. The Forge banner will be prominently displayed, and I have no objection to calling it the Forge Booth informally, or the Independents' Booth, or whatever.

Best,
Ron

GreatWolf

Understood, Ron.  I know that both the convention center and the convention organizer can be very particular about what can and cannot be done, particularly in regards to refreshments.  In my mind, my questions weren't merely "Are these good ideas?" but "Would the booth be allowed to do this?".  I should have been clearer.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown