News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

SA Question

Started by Judd, February 07, 2003, 12:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judd

Okay, the character is about to get into combat with his arch-nemesis who stepped on his puppy and slapped his father around.

He spends his Passion - Hatred of vile Puppy stepper and Father slapper, all five dice he has acrued.

Do these five dice go into his Combat pool for the remainder of the combat?  Do they go into one roll?  When do they have to be declared?  Or are SA's so powerful that they can be added at any time to any roll but once they aid that one roll they are spent for good?

Forgive me if there is another thread that goes over this ground and pleaese forgive me even moreso if the book states this clearly and I am just being dense..

Bankuei

As I understand it, all SA's except Luck are never "spent" unless they are being spent to improve your character.  So Passion would add to the combat pool each and every round until that combat is over.  

In fact, if you play your villians villianous, then you might have your baddie break combat, and do something stupid and mean like turn around and push the girl they've both been fighting for over the castle wall("Too late!  Even if you kill me, you still lose!!!!") activating your hero's other Passion for his girlfriend.

So if you can max out 5 SA's, and none of them are Luck, and they all apply to whatever you're doing, you can become the +25 dice combat monster/masterpiece painter/composer/Samwise McGee speech making sort of guy you've always wanted to be. :P

Chris

Judd

Shadeling

Quote from: BankueiAs I understand it, all SA's except Luck are never "spent" unless they are being spent to improve your character.  So Passion would add to the combat pool each and every round until that combat is over.  

In fact, if you play your villians villianous, then you might have your baddie break combat, and do something stupid and mean like turn around and push the girl they've both been fighting for over the castle wall("Too late!  Even if you kill me, you still lose!!!!") activating your hero's other Passion for his girlfriend.

So if you can max out 5 SA's, and none of them are Luck, and they all apply to whatever you're doing, you can become the +25 dice combat monster/masterpiece painter/composer/Samwise McGee speech making sort of guy you've always wanted to be. :P

Chris

Luck is never permanently spent when used in normal SA use either-just what you spend doesn't return till next session.
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Ashren Va'Hale

I play in a way that passion can be rolled a number of times equal to will power. then it cant be refreshed till next session or the Seneschal says so.
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Judd

I'm going to play the game straight-up before I play around with house rules.  But thanks.

Bankuei

Correct Shade, I forgot to add that detail, but whether Luck is temporarily spent, or permanently spent, it is the only SA that is spent outside of character improvement.  Also, Ashren, I believe you are correct on that as well, I can't remember the funky details regarding the individual SA's, I usually don't keep track of how often they get used.

Chris

Ashren Va'Hale

yeah, the rule I mentioned is not the house rule but the actually rule, read the section on SA's and it explains the usage of each type (limits etc).
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Shadeling

Quote from: Ashren Va'Haleyeah, the rule I mentioned is not the house rule but the actually rule, read the section on SA's and it explains the usage of each type (limits etc).

Actually Jake had said in a previous thread that you can use it like the rest of the SAs (except Luck) if you want.
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Ashren Va'Hale

Bankuei

Hey Jake,

Was the intent of limiting how often SA's may be used in order to prevent

a)Folks from only focusing on one SA,
b)Folks from uber-ing out on SA rolls
c) both the above?

If so, it seems like a lot of extra stuff to record.  I don't recall having any situation where folks overused their SA's in a fashion that seemed unfair.

Secondarily, if that's the case, if I choose to spend down an SA and switch it mid game, does my uses of it count against the new one, or am I "reset" for more?  For example, I use my True Love Passion to its max, then (regretfully), turn away from her in order to serve the King, can I use that Passion fresh, or do I still need to wait until next session?

Chris

Jake Norwood

Quote from: BankueiHey Jake,

c) both the above?

If so, it seems like a lot of extra stuff to record.  I don't recall having any situation where folks overused their SA's in a fashion that seemed unfair.

Both answers are true, but in discussions here on the Forge we all settled (more or less) on our own house rule, which is that they all basically work whenever appropriate in more or less the same way that Drive or Destiny do (anyone know where that thread is?).

The thing is that when I first wrote TROS I had never seen a "narrativist" game before, and I the whole SA concept was something I knew was really good, but was unsure about how the rest of the world would take it it and possibly abuse it. Now I see things a bit differently.

Secondarily, if that's the case, if I choose to spend down an SA and switch it mid game, does my uses of it count against the new one, or am I "reset" for more?  For example, I use my True Love Passion to its max, then (regretfully), turn away from her in order to serve the King, can I use that Passion fresh, or do I still need to wait until next session?

Chris

Not sure that I 100% understand, but I think the answer is that you can change an SA any time at all, and begin using it immediately.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Bankuei

What I was referring to, was that if you limit how often you could use an SA, such as Passion.  Say, I can use, "Loyalty for the King" 5 times, and I do, then if I change it to "Vengeance on that bastard(the King) who humilated me" do I get 5 more uses from the session, or would I just be stuck?

Of course, I myself never really keep track of these things.  It was simply a question of curiosity.

Chris

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Jake Norwood
Quote from: BankueiHey Jake,

c) both the above?

Both answers are true, but in discussions here on the Forge we all settled (more or less) on our own house rule, which is that they all basically work whenever appropriate in more or less the same way that Drive or Destiny do (anyone know where that thread is?).

Well, there's this one, but there wasn't a whole lot of discussion. I'll look further back and see if I can find anything else.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion