News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

We're Live!

Started by Andy Kitkowski, February 05, 2003, 07:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Kitkowski

I'm going through all my Indie RPG Awards-related threads and letting everyone know who subscribed to them that we're live!

http://www.rpg-awards.com

If you released a game last year, REGISTER IT!

If you released a game in the last two years, REGISTER TO VOTE!

If you haven't released any games, PLEASE HELP GET THE WORD OUT at other RPG forums, newsgroups, etc.

Thanks for helping me start this up, guys.  I really appreciate it.

-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Valamir

A pretty slick site and painless process. Well laid out.  The spartan appearance I think is actually entirely appropriate for an indie award.

Question on the Catch.  Am I reading correctly that while people can purchase votes for their favorite game, only a maximum of 5 purchased votes will count towards the total (even if more were purchased)?

Also there is a comment referring to "that round".  Do the purchased votes vanish after being used once, so that if more than 5 were purchased there will some available to be applied towards the following round...I was a bit confused with all that.

Andy Kitkowski

Quote from: ValamirA pretty slick site and painless process. Well laid out.  The spartan appearance I think is actually entirely appropriate for an indie award.

Thanks! It will get a little prettier in a bit, but just in the layout/organization sense (and maybe a few pics). Just wanted to get things up and running and leaving "pretty" for later.

Question on the Catch.  Am I reading correctly that while people can purchase votes for their favorite game, only a maximum of 5 purchased votes will count towards the total (even if more were purchased)?

That is correct.  So like, if you bought 2 votes for your game, I bought 2, and another three friends bought one each, the total number of votes that count to the goal is Five.  It makes it so that purchased votes do influence the awards (because I suspect the voting pool will be just a little less than one hundred people, but around one hundred nonetheless), but it makes it impossible for one person to say, buy 30 votes for himself, guaranteeing a win: Then his own money will return to him, plus the rest of the money.  Purchased votes are strong, but not too strong.  They will definitely shake things up in the semifinals since the votes will be spread out so much over so many games, and then in the finals, as some games will presumably run neck and neck.

Also there is a comment referring to "that round".  Do the purchased votes vanish after being used once, so that if more than 5 were purchased there will some available to be applied towards the following round...I was a bit confused with all that.

No, vote purchases are for that round only. When Preliminary Voting happens, those votes will only count for the preliminary round.  Same for finals.

Admittedly, it sounds like too much money for too little return. But, voting is also a donation to "the cause". So I'm hoping to, once voting begins, play them up enough so that people become interested in giving a little to the awards on top of edging their pick to the front. Charity with tangible results.

-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Valamir

I'm definitely cool with the concept, and I think the idea of buying votes as a way of building up a prize pool without needing a sponsor is conceptually brilliant.  Hopefully it works in practice.  

I have a sneaking suspicion that $10 a vote would get more interest than $20 though.  $10 is almost throw away money.  $20 is little stiffer.

Michael Hopcroft

I don;t know for sure about this buyinh og botes thing i.e. whether I'll do it. But all; I can say is that it should be interesting what comes out of the final balloting.

When do you plan to announce the results?
Michael Hopcroft Press: Where you go when you want something unique!
http:/www.mphpress.com