News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Possible TRoS Campaign Worlds

Started by Mordacc, February 08, 2003, 10:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mordacc

Id like to compile a list of either fictional worlds or real world themes for a ROS campaign setting. FIctional ones would be things like Conan, based in a complete fantasy world.  Real ones are ones set on earth, such as The Matrix, or even a real world time like the 1500's in france for a cool musketeer style.

Fictional: Conan (whatever world that is), Middle-earth, Star Wars

Real-world/earth based: The Matrix, Mortal Combat, Musketeer 15/1600's France

I think The Matrix would be a very cool setting to play in, after all the whole concept of the Matrix itself could fir in very well with The Riddle.  

Any ideas of settings????
The Riddle of Steel is that you are the weapon.  Swords, Magic, these are only tools.  Your most powerful weapon is the one between your ears.  When you embrace this, you will be invincible.

Mokkurkalfe

How about the American revolution?
The dark ages would also be cool. Sometime I will run a game set in a pseudo viking Beowulf style game.
Heh. Any setting that is either "gritty" or full of SA's or both would fit nicely, and I suspect that quite a lot of settings would it in there.
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

werewolf

I have only two players but we are deeply involved in a setting based on the Ruskala books by CJ Cherryh, in turn based on Russian folk lore, and its going very well.
Robert Holdstock's Merlin Codex I think could be another good setting, hmm I think I will try that myself next.
howlin' at midnight

TAROT

For a while now, I've been considering trying something Napoleonic, a la Bernard Cornwell's Richard Sharpe.

Always fun when your worst enemies are wearing the same uniform as you. :)

Chris

JESTER

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is my favorite game world.  Its Gritty and dark with elements of horror thrown in.  I am currently planning on running TROS in the WFRP world.  I am planning on converting over the numerous and well thought out careers over into the TROS format.

Jester
"No plan survives contact with the enemy"  -Moltke

Anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Enoch

omnia vincit amor
The Enclave

spunky

Quote from: JESTERWarhammer Fantasy Roleplay is my favorite game world.  Its Gritty and dark with elements of horror thrown in.  I am currently planning on running TROS in the WFRP world.  I am planning on converting over the numerous and well thought out careers over into the TROS format.

Jester

Jester: if you ever finish, pls. post your conversion formulae.  THE ENEMY WITHIN remains the best published fantasy "modules" that have seen print, and I'd love to run my krewe through them using TROS rules.

As far as worlds for TROS, Middle Earth is pretty obvious (with the Maiar (sp) as the only ones capable of casting sorcery as it is described in the current rules).  Also Newhon (F. Lieber's Lankmar) fits TROS quite nicely.  And while INQUISITOR goes a long way towards providing WARHAMMER 40K with the RPG it so richly deserves, TROS's system is a better match for those who don't want the dice controlling every aspect of their character's actions...

IMHO, there really aren't really worlds where TROS won't work.  It's more a question of matching the game with the players.  In my group, one of my best (ie. devoted and regular) players loves D&D, hates detailed combat, and just wants to know "what happens."  Getting him to play TROS will be quite a feat; as opposed to getting him to play a game like SORCERER or UNKNOWN ARMIES, where the mechanics are simple by comparison.

I've approached this by getting him to play EXALTED; and he's gotten into it, and now has the hang of the dicepool concept.  So now that the campaign is well established, I want to run a few one-off adventures, not using our super-heroic Exalted characters, but the ordinary human beings that serve them.  Not only will this give him a taste of TROS, it will also add to our EXALTED campaign, making all the players appreciate how truly powerful their PCs are compared to the rest of humanity.

Etc.
Exterminate all rational thought.
                 ---Wm. S. Burroughs

toli

Barsoom (John Carter of Mars) has my vote for a good TROS fantasy world.  Lots of sword fighting, passion...NT
NT

murazor

TroS should work well for any setting corresponding to the early 19th century or earlier. There are two reasons why I think so; Skills and guns.
The problem of skills is the lesser, but you will have to do quite a bit of skill and skill packet adjustment to adapt the set to an industrial era setting. But more importantly, while adapting blackpowder guns may be a fairly simple matter, I don't think the system will work all that well for modern guns.
For one thing, the combat system is weighted towards a setting where hand weapons rather than guns is the weapon of choice. The way damage level strictly corresponds to skil may work well for hand to hand combat, but it makes it impossible to get a lucky shot in. Giving guns inflated damage ratings is not a good way to fix this. Secondly, I don't believe the Puncture injuries chart is capable of modelling high speed/supersonic gunshot wounds. You'll need a new damage chart for that.
Essentially; Rather than pushing TRoS beyond it's intended boundaries, I think a modern game is better served with a game system designed for modern settings.

Brian Leybourne

Murazor,

If lucky shots are your bag, then just rule that instead of 10's rolling again and adding to the 10, they roll again as new, extra dice. That way any attack, melee or ranged has the potential to kill because it's possible (although unlikely) to get an unlimited number of extra dice. Likewise any action has a chance to succeed in a blazingly impressive (lucky) way for the same reason.

That falls down where the TN is higher than 10 of course.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

arxhon

I'm also considering perhaps dropping my up and coming RoS campaign in the Warhammer world. It depends on how Weyrth grabs me. Since i have the old RoC books (yes, the hardcovers from 89-91), i would like to continue using these ancient tomes of damnation....

It'll be a couple of weeks before i can start playing since my copy of RoS is on order, but tell me somethng...

How well do you folks feel the concept of Chaos (not the Chaos gods themselves, but the underlying concept itself) fit into the world of Weyrth?

Jake Norwood

Quote from: arxhon
How well do you folks feel the concept of Chaos (not the Chaos gods themselves, but the underlying concept itself) fit into the world of Weyrth?

By chaos you mean the way it's handled in WFRP, than I think that it actually would work quite well, especially given the "price" of magic and the options that thematic Chaos would bring.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Judd

As I've said in previous posts, the Riddle would make my two favorite boxed sets, Planescape and Dark Sun really shine.  

Starting character design with philosophy would really suit Planescape's whole vibe.

If I were running Dark Sun I'd probably make the SA limit ten...just to give players more of a shot in that brutal, largely armorless setting.

The musketeers are begging to be Riddled.

Elric's Young Kingdoms might suit the game well too.

And all of those strange dimly lit fantasy cities rattling around in my head would be neat.

Vanguard

Good suggestions above..

Moorcock's multiverse would also be appropriate.  Fighting is done in very realistic/heroic ways - even the superhero Elric becomes pathetic in times of vulnerability.  Compared to an N th level D&D PC, able to cop tactical nukes in the face whils asleep and still only lose half his hit-points, character in the Multiverse die from a good sword blow to the face.

Sorcery involves the use of boons and favours - a means in which aging effects might be reduced to effect instant powerful spells. And in other ways, sorcery is treated in a very storytelling-kinda-way.

Think 'bout it - makes sense.

Take care
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger - or a cripple.

jafuli

hi all !

what do you think of the Hârn background (www.columbiagames.com) : semi-historic, very well detailed, knights everywhere, ...

I am also reading the "song of fire and ice" cycle by George RR Martin. Interesting ...

JF