News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Two questions about combat

Started by Nikosandros, February 09, 2003, 06:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikosandros

Hello,

I just downloaded Donjon and I must say that I'm very impressed...

I've got a couple of questions about combat.

1) What happens exactly at the end of a flurry? Do the players get to talk and re-evaluate the situation and that's it?

2) In order to smash a PC it is necessary to score successes on all damage dice. However once a PC is reduced to 0 Wherewithal it seems actually more dangerous if a monster uses only one die on the damage test, since it will be more likely not to get any failure... is that correct?

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: NikosandrosHello,

I just downloaded Donjon and I must say that I'm very impressed...

I've got a couple of questions about combat.

1) What happens exactly at the end of a flurry? Do the players get to talk and re-evaluate the situation and that's it?

2) In order to smash a PC it is necessary to score successes on all damage dice. However once a PC is reduced to 0 Wherewithal it seems actually more dangerous if a monster uses only one die on the damage test, since it will be more likely not to get any failure... is that correct?

Nikosandros,

As for (1), you're absolutely correct. If the players wish to continue combat, they may initiate another flurry - or if the creatures they're fighting want to, the GM may. If not, someone's got to either negotiate or flee.

As for (2), you're correct again, it seems, although few creatures will ever only have one die for attack. (Rolling less than maximum dice is not ok according to the rules.) It's a bit tricky, as less dice does give a bit better chance of total success for the monster, but characters getting smashed occurs pretty rarely in play. (I tried to design the game to really minimize character death.) I'd rule that at least two dice have to be rolled by the monster to smash a character.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games