News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

R.O.C. Update

Started by James V. West, February 06, 2003, 12:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James V. West

What I'm up to, rpg-wise:

1) The Pool

This one has been covered by many people here and I feel like the game is pretty solid. I won't be doing any more development of the rules anytime soon, although I'll be updating the text now and then to clear it up and add more examples and guidance. I thank everyone who's contributed their views and experiences with this game.

2) The Questing Beast

This one is still on the table. I have a pretty complete game as it stands, but I'm not satisfied with the text and with some of the rules. I've been jotting down notes on how to improve it when ideas hit me and I feel like sometime soon I'll be able to finally present a complete game. Re-written, fully illustrated, and available both in a print version and pdf--that's the idea.

3) Black Wing

Related threads:
First Post
Another Thread

Based on my Hof comics featuring the character Zarp, this game is still in infancy. I have a good draft of the basic rules, but it isn't readable. I plan to begin playtesting it by next month (sooner, I hope) but I don't expect to have a real playtest version made public before April or May.

When I do, though, the idea is to ask for volunteer playtesters in the number of 10 or so. To each of these brave souls I'll send the rules (in a printed format), complete with lots of art and junk for color, plus a set of red & balck dice. All I ask in return is a reasonable report from their playtesting experiences.

I'll make an announcement here when I'm ready to hit this stage.

4) Random Order Comics and Games

Each issue of Random Order features a new game. The first 2 issues had games by me (The Pool and Visions), but starting with the 3rd issue I'm printing games by other folks (starting with Eric Carl Alexander's Swords & Skulls). This is an ongoing project. I'll accept submissions of games and game-related material (such as suppliments or variants of games that have appeared in Random Order) in the future.

5) Sun & Moon

Most recent of the games I've decided to undertake. This one is still in the seed-meets-earth stage, so I can't say much about it. At this point all I can say is that it will be a fantasy game with lots of artwork and (hopefully) something new for everyone. Then again...it might be just another fantasy game...who knows? Probably too early to mention it, but sometimes naming an idea publicly is a good way to nurture it in your own mind.

Thanks for the inulgence!

Paganini

With regard to #4, how would you feel about including Cornerstone? It still needs to be playtested, but I imagine that it would be ready to go only shortly after Black Wing.

James V. West

I think that would be excellent! The major concern would be length.

So far the games have been 2-4 pages. Swords & Skulls in the third issue is actually running 8 pages, so I'm open to longer games. Just as long as it can be kept to a reasonable length, say no more than 12 pages maximum.

Paganini

Quote from: James V. WestI think that would be excellent! The major concern would be length.

So far the games have been 2-4 pages. Swords & Skulls in the third issue is actually running 8 pages, so I'm open to longer games. Just as long as it can be kept to a reasonable length, say no more than 12 pages maximum.

I don't forsee Cornerstone being particularly long. However, I'd feel more comfortable with a word count to shoot for rather than a page count. Your pages tend to be non-standard sizes, the number of words on a page depends on your font choice, margins, and so on.

James V. West

Just wing that mother and I'll work it in! Seriously.

Just do it up in some increment of 4-pages so that I can put it in the center of the book (I like the feel of a game that can be removed if desired, for some reason). Basically, we're talking 4 standard pages at a 10 or 12 point font. The issue will be digest size, which translates to the same proportions as an 8.5x11 sheet of paper.