News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Agh! Explaining Universalis!

Started by Drew Stevens, February 12, 2003, 07:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew Stevens

So, I have an interesting dillimea.  I mean, it's a good dillimea, but it's still interesting.

How do ya'll explain Universalis to other people? Since my efforts at either 'A collaborative storytelling game thing- with coins!' and 'Roleplaying, but everyone is the GM!' seem persistantly doomed to failure, but the same people I fail to explain the game itself to frequently fall in love after reading some of the site's transcript games or the book itself.  (Something about the Papal Pregnancy... :)

Oh, and speaking of.  Is there an effective 'upper limit' on players in a game?  Some number of people past which it ceases being quite as much fun?

Michael S. Miller

I have a similar problem. Not so much "pitching" the game, but actually sitting down and explaining the rules in a timely fashion for a pickup game. I mean, most games can be boiled down to "concentrate" for the quick rules explanation, but the Universalis book is above 80% concentrate as it is!

Ralph & Mike -- How did you handle your 20-minute demos at the Forge booth @ GenCon? What did you stress, omit, leave for "if it comes up"?
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Mike Holmes

Here's the series of events that I use to introduce the game. I developed this method from playing it with lots of people, and needing to get people conversant fast. Turns out that it's one of the best teaching methods that I 've seen for Universalis.

First, be the GM. Until it makes sense to let the reins loose. That is, control all flow until the players get it. This includes using social means to stop play and explain things when neccessary.

Here's the sequence:

1. Do not say Universalis is "x minus y" or "this with some of that". These are never really accurate, and only serve to give people preconceptions that will confuse them later. If they are "experienced gamers", the first thing to say is that Universalis is not an RPG. That's just so that they drop their normal RPG expectations (not to mention being true in a way). A little Zen mind trick.

2. Explain what Universalis is, in short. It's a means to tell a story collaboratively with some rules to tell who gets to say what, when.

3. Tell them that all the participants get coins, and there is only one rule, really. The rule is that one coin allows you to state one thing. That is, you can make one thing, or have one thing happen. Anything.

4. Say that there are other rules, that are based on this one rule, but that they will come up in play, and that they'll be described when they become appropriate.

5. Explain that the game usually begins by deciding what sort of elements the story will be about. Then dive right in. Explain that at any point the players can cease adding things, and "normal" play can start.

6. During the setup phase, look for a person who disagrees with something that somebody else says, or wait for some really odball statement to be made. Stop play, and inform everybody that they can Challenge. Explain this rule, and resume play. At this point people's eyes get bigger and they say, "Ahh!". They are starting to get it. I also explain interruptions at this point.

7. When the setup is complete, stop play and explain the scene rules. Resume play with bidding for scene control, and guide the high bidder through the elments of creating a scene.

8. Play out the scene. After the first introduction of an interesting Component, explain Traits and how they are added. Explain other rules as they become necessary (for example ending a scene, and refreshment when it occurs), but do not explain Complications, yet.

9. Wait for a bit of play to pass, and possibly until the next scene or two later (depending on scene length), until the players have most everything else down. Then and only then introduce Complications (along with the witty phrase, "Thought there were no dice in this game, didn't you?).

Basically, the best way to learn is to just play.

Give the players a little as possible to absorb at a time, and let then get used to each part before moving to the next. Using this tutorial method I get most players fully conversant with all the rules they need to play in about 20 minutes or less. At that point, I'll be explaining some nuance of the design, and some player will say, "I get it; now shut up and let us play." That's when I know it's time to relinquish the "GM" role, and let play proceed naturally. At that point the teacher just serves a a reference, and is otherwise an equal participant.

BTW, for speed, I have to admit that when I come to a particular rule detail, and I cannot remember it exactly, I just make up something that sounds good. It's better to just keep play flowing than to stop and look up a rule. If the players don't like it, then can change it. And hopefully they'll have read the rules by their next play, and then be doing it right, anyhow.  :-)

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Valamir

Actually a couple of folks have asked me this question recently, so being the service oriented person that I am, I already have an essay in progress which I'll be putting up on the site shortly.

Not surprisingly the structure looks pretty much like Mike's outline above.  In fact, that could be the executive summary of the essay.  For the essay I fleshed the steps out a bit in terms of including the type of things I say during a game, my "demo patter" if you will.

Bob McNamee

Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!

Valamir

Just posted the essay to the site.  Give it a look and let me know if it does the trick.

Also let me know if the font size is too small.  I have my resolution jacked way up, so everything looks small to me.  Is it large enough for normal viewing?