News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

East Coast Cons

Started by Ashren Va'Hale, April 18, 2003, 05:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashren Va'Hale

with all the talk of Gen Con I began to wonder if there are any gaming convention on the east coast? Preferably middle and North East (North carolina to New york).
Anyone know hwere I can find out?
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

prophet118

deep south con is in chattanooga... i think sometime in the summer, i dont know the exact date though... and here in huntsville, Constellation, is in october
"Congratulations you have won, its a years subscription of bad puns.."

Check out my art site! http://prophet118.deviantart.com
Wanna Buy a Poster?  http://www.deviantprints.com/~prophet118/

Eamon Voss

Around here (Washington, DC) there is Castle Con in the summer.  

Perks about Castle Con
1. Cheap
2. Ran in a hotel with lots of decent eateries around.
3. Located in Reston, Virginia (close to you)
4. Website: http://www.fantek.org/fantek2/ccon/index.html

Problems with Castle Con:
1. Poorly Organized
2. Ran over 4th of July weekend.
3. Most of the gamers only want to play D&D (any version) or Chivalry & Sorcery (latest edition).   Our experience has shown that running anything else (such as TROS) means games empty except for your own friend.
4. Bad costumes and fat belly dancers
5. Tacky Website: http://www.fantek.org/fantek2/ccon/index.html

This year we are goving it a miss to go to a family reunion.
Realism in a melee game is not a matter of critical hit charts, but rather the ability to impart upon the player the dynamism of combat.

Ashren Va'Hale

well, how about we import a TROS group Voss? I think we could have some fun with it and I could run a fairly fun Demo as well, I also found out about Patriot Games in richmond and I will be demoing TROS down there officially.
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Eamon Voss

Quote from: Ashren Va'Halewell, how about we import a TROS group Voss? I think we could have some fun with it and I could run a fairly fun Demo as well, I also found out about Patriot Games in richmond and I will be demoing TROS down there officially.

I would love to import a TROS group to Castle Con, but not this year!  Still, I think we could probably send a serious contingent between our two groups even if I was absent.

When is Patriot Games?
Realism in a melee game is not a matter of critical hit charts, but rather the ability to impart upon the player the dynamism of combat.

wpbarr

I found Castle Con to be pretty much a bust for everything but d20. Even when a friend and I volunteered to run games, the organizers never bothered to contact us.

Then again, I also suggested that a bunch of us meet up at Dream Wizards in Rockville some weekend in a separate thread (http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=5108&highlight=maryland), but that idea seems to have died as well since my message was the last in the topic.

Anyhow, if someone wants to run a TROS game (http://www.fantek.org/fantek2/ccon/) please count me in.
--
<signature/>

Eamon Voss

Hey,

I won't be at Castle Con this year, but I will be at Patriot Games (Richmond, VA).  I plan to run TROS there.  And Patriot Games seems MUCH better organized.  Go to www.patriotgames.org and look there.  My stuff isn't listed yet, but I will be running two TROS items and here are their blurbs:

Hunt for Galileo
Riddle of Steel
5 characters

The year is 1616 and that fiend Galileo is stirring things up again. A priest friend has asked you and several others to capture the arch-madman, and bring him in to recant his publication. Alas, Galileo is a cunning fellow, and is not an easy man to capture. This is a swashbuckling game complete with dashing swordplay, daring chases, terrible deathtraps, renaissance church excesses, anachronistic history and anything else that can be packed in for more fun. So grab a blade and join the fun! Pre-generated characters provided.

Subject: Murder at the Tourney
Category: Riddle of Steel
5 characters

You are a champion warrior coming to a great tournament to prove your mettle enought to be able to challenge the Duke holding the tournament. The Duke is a man with whom you have an axe to grind. Unfortunately, before you get a chance to challenge him, he is murdered, and you and four other players are considered as suspects. Like the board game clue, you must collect the clues and figure out who is the murderer, which could be anyone, including yourself. Pre-generated characters are provided.

Cheers!

Lance D. Allen

The first one sounds okay, but it doesn't really grab me. The second one, which you've mentioned before I believe, does. It looks like it will grab the players from the start, engage their SAs and give them a chance to get into combat without a great deal of risk (the tourney). I also like the fact that it still allows the players to customize their characters to some extent (exactly WHY do they have a grudge with Duke La Morte?) without requiring them to create whole new TRoS characters for a ConGame.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Eamon Voss

Quote from: WolfenThe first one sounds okay, but it doesn't really grab me. The second one, which you've mentioned before I believe, does. It looks like it will grab the players from the start, engage their SAs and give them a chance to get into combat without a great deal of risk (the tourney). I also like the fact that it still allows the players to customize their characters to some extent (exactly WHY do they have a grudge with Duke La Morte?) without requiring them to create whole new TRoS characters for a ConGame.

In Con games you ALWAYS provide the motives for players.  Besides trying to explain the rules and set the mood of a game, also including concept design for players works bad for a 4 hour slot (you just don't have enough time).  What this means is that the game will start with EVERY player having a motive to kill Duke La Morte (I just have to go with that name).  Hence, all the players are under suspicion.  

To prevent someone from loudly proclaiming that they killed the Duke, whoever kills Duke La Morte receives a death sentence and their whole family dies in a blood fued.  So no one will want themselves revealed as the killer.  Besides, just because a player claims to be the killer doesn't mean that they did it!  

I hope you can make it to the game!

Mayhem1979

Hey Seth, you figured out any ideas for what to run as your demo game(s) at the con?

If you want I can roll up a few charcters in the generator for it and send 'em to you to help.  Heck feel free to use Mort once I send you the 10 1/2 commandments... I can even make an adjusted version without the extra A.  :D