News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

How much is enough?

Started by FilthySuperman, August 20, 2001, 03:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwill

emily's comments made something clear to me that I hadn't conceptualised before: using an outline

this not only gives you a good indication of structure/planning/blah, but hopefully helps make sure you've referenced and described everything you've mentioned

I can't make any suggestions about an exact wordcount, but I know that different books have had different "feels" of completeness -- mainly related to how well they've covered the elements they've mentioned, and the hooks they provide for GMs and players to latch onto and expand

example: I came away from the first Dark Sun box set with a strong impression of the setting and the variety of ways in which players could fit into it -- most questions I had could be answered by fantasy stereotypes/expectations or extrapolating the DS approach to them

(of course I was terribly disappointed by the first adventure which upturned the setting, to my mind... and don't talk to me about the novels -- I catalogue all of it as just another GMs take on the core material)

example: I got a good idea of the atmosphere of an UnderWorld game from the UW book, but was nagged by the feeling that I didn't have an idea about day-to-day living -- I like the sketchy/framework setting, but for me at least, the environment itself wasn't made concrete

unfortunately, though, this is quite a subjective call -- I happen to ask "so, where do they live?": Dark Sun answered this, to my satisfaction, and UnderWorld didn't

with a outline or other indexy reference tool you can at least make sure you finish up/link up anything you mention

d@vid

FilthySuperman

Kwill, Emily

In reading over all these posts.. the outline idea really does make good sense to me. I started doing something like this, and now I'll be able to do it even better. I started out inspired and just wrote my little heart out. Now I've started writing sections completely by themselves as other files. Then I read back through and insert them where they should go, then I start the editing process all over. It's tedious and time consuming, but if I reference my (new) general outline I avoid babbling in the text and I also find out which areas need better explanation. Thanks a bunch everyone who posted you've all been very helpful.

Gotta love the Forge!!

T

Emily Dresner

*Em smacks herself in the forehead.*

Hi.  Okay.  I just got done negotiating with Ron, and as soon as I can find time, hopefully really freakin' soon, I'm going to contribute a few articles to the Forge on how to write your game.  Not what to put into it, how to go about the grungy process of doing it.  One of the big things is - tada - the outline.  That handy-dandy tool that will get your game from conception to completion.

So just hold on to your pants, and let me have a day at work when I don't come home completely exhausted, and all will become apparent.  

It's much easier than pontificating in a little tiny box on a BBS, and the articles don't age out.
Emily K. Dresner-Thornber
Robotz -- http://www.evilkitten.org/~zenith

kwill

eek -- the forge is my refuge from varsity and, for example, learning about the software development process in comp sci -- now we're getting the game development process on the forge!

weird and twisted :>

d@vid

FilthySuperman

Quote:
 eek -- the forge is my refuge from varsity and, for example, learning about the software development process in comp sci -- now we're getting the game development process on the forge!

weird and twisted :>

Endquote

Shh! It's my refuge from work. If I could count how many times a day I gotta minimize this screen cause the boss is walking by...

more on topic though.. I think it's awesome that we are getting some basic guidelines. I'd love to see some of the people who have made some of these popular games (Ron, Jason, I'm looking at you) talk about the creation process (fundamental methodology, not inspiration) more often.
I mean when I go back and read my game, Any Town, U.S.A. I can't help but think "this is my little indie game" whereas when I thumb through Sorceror or Little Fears I get this "this is a big-time game" feeling. I dunno.. it might be a modesty affliction, (yeah right) but I think it's more of I'm fumbling around with these ideas, whereas alot of others appear to have just "known what to do" when the inspiration struck them. Any of you Filthy Superpublished Authors care to comment?

T.

Dav

Not to fly in the face of the "nobody knows" idea... I definitely have no direct line to the future... but I'll be happy to give you what I use as a guideline.

1 art per 5 pages.  Voila.  Seems simple, right?  Well, first you have to make certain each of those pieces is good, fits the text near it (or generally near it), and is spaced properly with the text.  Not too bad, but there it is.

For cover, as I believe John has said in the past: blow most of the nut there.  If you are going traditional distribution, that is.  If not, do what thou wilt seems to be the rule.

As text, we print in 10-point font and can average between 800-1000 words per page.  I stress "can".  As mentioned above, 500-600 makes it easier on the eyes, and spaces a bit more nicely.

Quick piece of advice:  layout is every bit as important as flashy-cool art.  Most don't believe me.  Look at Last Exodus, then look at Sorcerer.  Nuff said.

If you want to steal layout and spacing ideas from someone, try Sorcerer, you could do much worse.  Much worse.  Little Fears does a nice job of keeping things organized as well.

D&D and... well... Obsidian... do not have the same level of great organization.  Organization counts (take it from someone who has taken it on the chin about this one).

All in all, costs, depending upon how you are going to print/bind/everything (hardcover, perfect bind, stiching, etc.) makes the big difference.  Added to this are also the number of books in the run.

To give you an idea, Obsidian had a preproduction cost of about 5,000 before printing.  Not much, I agree, but we utilized every damned resource we had, and did most of the work on our own.  I am just saying here that you CAN make a decent, professional-looking (content is your apple) book for not a truckload of cash.  It takes some time, effort, and a lot of calls to various people with a whining and pleading voice.  But it can be done.

Dav