News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Offensive Grappling Q?

Started by arxhon, February 18, 2003, 12:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arxhon

OK, I'm a little confused by the offensive grappling rules. The maneuver cost is 2 or 4 (except for wrestling, which is 1 or 3). Why the 2 different costs?

Additionally, i'm a little confused as to what a 'set up' entails. Perhaps a description of some sort would be handy..is this getting yourself into position to grapple? Hence the range penalties?

Jake Norwood

The "set up" is a provoking action that puts you in a better position to grapple.

The 2 dfferent costs, I think, are for with the set-up, then without. In truth, though, I can't remember if that's true or if it was something that should have been fixed. For now I'm going to say that that's what's up, although you could also just ignore that part and use the text on p 62 in it's "vanilla" form.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

arxhon

OK, thanks Jake. Describing the 'set up' really helped gel things in my mind as to how the grappling rules work.

Alan

A Grapple setup suffers Range penalties.  What about the follow up grapple?     Normally, a successful attack puts the Range penalty on the defender, but the rules for grapple seem to imply that a successful set up does not.  Is that correct?
- Alan

A Writer's Blog: http://www.alanbarclay.com

Jake Norwood

Well, I don't have the text on me, but I'm pretty sure that such isn't the case. If you successfully set-up your grapple, you're in good range.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant