News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Shadow of Yesterday (immense)

Started by Clinton R. Nixon, February 19, 2003, 06:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Paul Czege...I'm thinking it isn't type2. ... Convince me otherwise?

Paul,

I'll have a hard time doing that, as Type2 isn't well-enough defined to have an argument over it. What I see you saying is that this game will allow the GM to introduce a situation, the players then stake out what's important in that situation via Secrets, and then the GM-introduced and player-introduced conflicts are resolved.

That's a correct assumption. However, I see any Setting-Exploration game as doing this. With a large, explorable setting, the game has to be about something, whether it's "save the empire," or even "go from here to here and have adventures along the way."

In Type2, does the setting itself introduce the conflict? If so, I'm building up towards that in this game, where the conflict is "There's a huge moon that's scaring the bejeezus out of everyone and you can either restore order and free people from that fear, or revel in the opportunities that brings." Still, that's not as conflict-y as it could be.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Valamir

I've got to be honest, even when reading the initial definitions for type 1 vs type 2 I didn't understand the distinction.

Paul, you've obviously hit upon some nuance that I (and others I'm sure) haven't fully kenned to yet, so perhaps another thread where the nuance is described more completely highlighting why its a useful distinction to make might be in order.  I'd certainly find it interesting.

Clinton, when are you shooting to have something available for public consumption, such as a beta demo as you did with Donjon?

Clinton R. Nixon

Ralph,

I doubt you'll see a free beta test for a month or so - I really want to shake out all the problems with the system first. In about a month, I'm planning on releasing a public playtest version with a small scope - probably only a bit of the setting - but only via e-mail with a playtest agreement. (I'm not talking about NDAs or any of that nonsense, but an agreement to run the game.)

People who have playtested previous games of mine, including you, get first crack, of course.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games