News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The power of good and Unicorns (?)

Started by GreatWolf, May 01, 2001, 11:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreatWolf

I did indeed read this and I do like the image a lot.

There's only one problem.

Jared Sorenson got there first.  :smile:  Check out eight on his website (//www.memento-mori.com/eight if memory serves me)and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for the thought, though, and I hope that you'll be following my column over on Gaming Outpost.  I like getting as much feedback as possible.
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Paul Czege

Hey,

The actual image is my single favorite graphic on Jared's site:

http://www.memento-mori.com/eight/notes.html

And although they're flying, they aren't narwhals because they don't have horns. From the image name, they're aerwhals.

Related to this, I've come to believe that Jared is on a mission of laying claim to every good RPG concept that isn't already copyrighted. In the future, we'll all be licensing from Jared if we want to create RPG's. But as yet, I think narwhals are still available, especially if you put them in the sea. And there's probably lots of substantive symbolic potential for the setting between the sea and the moon dice (related to the effect of the moon on the tides), and between the sea as symbolic of the unconscious mind and the air (and dragons) as symbolic of the conscious mind.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

RobMuadib

I wouldn't let Jared's use of the aerwhales image limit you if you think that the narwhale/unicorn is a good idea. I mean, you can find flying whale images in one of the sequences in Fantasia 2000 by Disney of all people. And being disney, I am sure they stole it from some other older source.:smile:

Using a familiar or widespread image/idea shouldn't limit you. Heck, I mean you want to have Unicorns and Dragons anyway. The trick is to intepret it in your own way and make it unique/native within your setting.

Part of the attraction of RPG's is they draw on archetypes and myths, and themes. I mean White Wolf made an entire series of games by twisting classic archetypes/monsters to their own vision.

As much as I like Jared's work, I am not going to surrender every image and idea to him:)

Rob Muadib
Rob Muadib --  Kwisatz Haderach Of Wild Muse Games
kwisatzhaderach@wildmusegames.com --   
"But How Can This Be? For He Is the Kwisatz Haderach!" --Alyia - Dune (The Movie - 1980)

Jared A. Sorensen

Oh...but you will...YOU WILL!!!

Actually, I stole my idea of flying whales from The Maxx.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com