News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sorcerer by Gaslight!

Started by JamesDJIII, March 16, 2003, 11:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Holmes

Quote from: JamesDJIIIOf course, between me and the player, we don't seem to have the same conclusion as y'all. How much is bail from Kicker-jail, anyways?

What Trvis said. Any Kicker that motivates the character has met a bhasic requirement. It's just up to the GM and player at that point to mess with it, and make sure that it turns into something that quesitons the character's values.

I could be really snarky and ask, James, how landing in Jail has changed McAllister. I mean it's not uninteresting, but how many Humanity rolls were made getting there?

I'm not saying you're playing wrong or badly at all. In fact I haven't even looked closely at the transcripts. The point is that where Sorcerer really shines is when characters change internally in some substantive way. And you can promote that with the right kickers a bangs. McAllister's Kicker wasn't terrible, but it could have been better. If Jail is a place where McAllister can change, then why not start play in Jail?  :-)

Here's my Kicker for the game we're playing tonight. It took a bit of work to get to this point, and Josh (the GM) had to beat me about the head and neck to get me to do it right:

Seth Gosnold, a driven carreer man and suburbanite, killed his wife one night in an act of passion in order to raise her up again as a passer demon who would support his career and family goals better. His wife has just approached him to perform a similar ritual to raise their daughter as well who was killed in the same ritual that created her. Seth is in denial about his sorcery wanting to believe that he never did it, and that his wife who he loves just changed that night on her own. So, will he risk his sanity to retain his demon wife's love and to get his daughter back (and to quell the fears of an inquisitive insurance inspector who's coming over to visit tonight)?

I can't wait to find out. Can't get past the first scene without Seth making some serious decisions about who he is. I think a lot will depend on how Josh plays my character's not-so-dead wife. Anyone want to put bets on the Insurance Guy's life?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

JamesDJIII

Samach:

The working Premise was to see if using an online medium would be an acceptable substitute for FTF role-playing. Nothing really more than that. Sorcerer just happened to come across my desk at the right time to give it a whirl.

Trevis Martin

I meant what premise or moral question is your game trying to address? (Premise in the Edwardsian/GNS/Narrative sense)

regards,

Trevis

Ron Edwards

Hey guys,

In my view, this dialogue is getting too deconstructive for James' purposes in posting about his game. James, correct me if I'm wrong.

The basic question - any fun? Going to keep playing? What kind of informal feedback seems interesting to (or from) the people who played?

Best,
Ron

Trevis Martin

Ron, you're absolutely right.

James, my apologies, I got carried away.

regards,

Trevis

JamesDJIII

Hey hey, no harm, no foul.

One player expressed a bit of anxiety about the process of Sorcerer. I think they were intimidated by the shared narritive "power."

Overall, however, the only concept they haven't taken to bosom is the power of additive dice. I kept seeing a lot of "I check to see if someone is following me." or "I pick his pocket." I think I need to be more direct about why this is causing them to get (at least) a -1 die penalty.

Otherwise, we are having a VERY good time with it.