News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

developing new system from ground-up...HELP

Started by bcghawk, March 02, 2003, 02:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcghawk

Hey!   new to the board and need new recommendations for "real" system; thoughtfully nicknamed word problem the rpg were the players play themselves (so they actually worry about the situations their in)we've found phoenix command for our gun combat and have actual tables set for heart rate+weight vs. blood loss/intoxication/poison resistance and have a preset counsel for arguing cases on character generation, stat levels,and skill levels so nobody can pad their characters in a wash of narcissism not to mention a compendium of every apllicable skill we could think of... but we still need a system to rate and apply non-combat skills and have real world examples to draw from or a (decent)melee/hand to hand system. Also , would like special emphasis on vehicle combat like running into 300lbs monster w/a 1964 corvette stingray at 45 mph or a good veh. weight to braking table (have always looked on vehicular travel in rpgs w/the most detachment in any game & would like to bring in a more significant factor of realism. If anybody has any systems that gave good rules for any of these or you have any ideas please e-mail me and let me know much obliged.      Plus, if you want our character development to avoid munchkins in your "real" campaign who think WAY to highly of themselves when generating the character this is how we did it -1the player writes his character up to the preset character sheet as close as possible as he sees fit-2the other players and the narrarator then look it over and voice their honest opinion (it is necessary because if one character pads their stuff the whole game gets screwed) about the stats; if its lower than everybody thinks it is in real life (rare) eveybody comes to a mutual consent to up the number or adds a bonus in regard to the special considerations ("motorcycles9? I only work on harleys  for a living, let's  make it an 8 and add a 1 when I'm hot-wiring a Harley) and if its higher (common) that player sets forth to "do the physical challenge" will explain more later. please write back with help.

Mike Holmes

Whoa, there. First thing, if you want a better response, use complete sentences and paragraphs. That wasn't easy to read.

What do you mean by "real"? Realistic?

What you describe seems to be an "I" game. That is, a RPG where one plays a character modeled after oneself. You seem to be of the opinion that this will make players more concerned with their characters. I've played a lot of games like this, and I really haven't found this to be particularly true. For example, in V&V, my players seemed to be as interested whether or not they actually played themselves (you are supposed to in that game, but some of my players found that too limiting). Have you had problems with players not beig concerned about their characters?

Your "counsel" method, I presume involves actually testing the players if someone thinks that the character they've statted has an ability rated too high? This sounds very problematic to me. I mean, basically, your setting up a situation where players have to insult each other in order to generate characters. Not to mention inadvertant comparisons. You know, If I'm a ten, and Jon's an eleven, then he's saying that he's better than me.

Why the need for all this? What's the rest of the game about?

Mike

P.S. ever looked at Multiverser?
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.