News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Artwork for RPG in design Phase

Started by arkcure, February 21, 2003, 07:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkcure

Hello.  This is my first post on this Forum so bear with me.  Right now I am in the first stage of writing an adventure RPG and am approaching the character phase.  The topic of artwork has been on my mind and how to go about it.  I'd like to do it, but I have no artistic talent as such.  
What i would need is black and white character drawings and some other general artwork, as well as a cover picture in color.
I do know some people, but not on a personal level.  Right now, I'm in the middle of finding a job so paying somebody now is out the question.  
The ideal situation would be to find someone who is interested in the project and do it for free, and hope for the best, but who are we kidding here?
So my question for all concerned is what do artists usually charge?  I figure there'd be a set price for each picture but like I said, I'm new to this.
Any response helping would be appreciated.

greyorm

I charge based on what the client can afford, and what I can afford.
Usually $25-$50 per image (B&W), with more for color and cover images, and dependent upon the total time involved. I'm cheap as artists go.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Valamir

Ark, not to take money out of the hands of our local artists, but quite frankly if you are only in the first stages of design, the last thing you need to worry about is art.  Most first stage designs wind up on the scrap heap and you'll have just shelled out cash for pics that may not even be useful to you.

Once you get to the point where the game is ready to play and currently being playtested...THAT'S when I'd say start looking for art.  You'll have a better idea of what you want then and if the game is that far along you're less likely to wind up with wasted pics.  In fact, IME by the time you get your game to the playtest stage you'll be so sick of looking at it that it stands a good chance of winding up on the scrap heap anyway.  Shelling out money for art at this stage is a good motivator.  Once you have 2-300+ sunk into art for the game you're alot more motivated to make sure you finish the thing.

Plus, as or more important than art is layout.  Unless you are skilled in this area yourself you're going to want/need to have a talented layout person make the thing look presentable.  You may also need to look at paying an editor if you don't know people who have skill in that area.  

That's a pretty decent chunk of money to lay out, and if you're not careful you could sink $500 easy into a game before printing costs, so you'd better be sure its a game that's actually going to be finished first.

Scorpio

www.morningstarmaps.com
"Functional Artwork..."

arkcure

Well, Valamir, those are wise words and I shall remember them.  Also, I'd like to say to Scorpio, you got a great site.  Out of strange curiousity, does morningstar maps do well business wise or do you keep a day job?  If you don't feel like answering, i understand.

Scorpio

Thank you!At this time, I still have a day job...but for the sake of sleep, that may change soon!;)
www.morningstarmaps.com
"Functional Artwork..."