News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Asian Cult Cinema Sorcery

Started by Nev the Deranged, March 01, 2003, 04:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nev the Deranged

I regularly read a magazine called Asian Cult Cinema, and sometimes pick up other similar magazines.  Unfortunately I have yet to scrounge enough cash to order any of the DVDs written about in them, but even before watching them I have developed a great appreciation for the Asian cinematic freedom that is unthinkable in the States, especially in the horror genre.

Is anyone here a fan of Asian horror/suspense cinema, and if so, would I be wrong in thinking that an endless supply of delightfully gut-wrenching (both emotionally and literally) story fodder exists in the medium for Sorcerer?  I mean, these people still know how to tell a good horror story that terrifies you with what you don't see as much as with what you do.  Sure, the gore is farther over the top than any American movie would dare, but the suspense and characterization is at a higher calibre too... isn't it?  I'd really like to hear from someone who does know what they're talking about... am I getting the wrong idea from these publications?  Is Asian cinema really not all it seems to be?  It looks damn cool, but that could be the bias of the zine writers.

Also, what do you recommend as a jumping off point for this impending hobby?  I was thinking about the original Ring, but a lot of Takashi Miike's stuff looks really awesome too... I just don't know where to begin, especially since I'm sure a lot of it is worthless exploitative garbage.

ps. I apologize for not having much to link this to Sorcerer.  I'm kind of hoping someone else will pick up that aspect and run with it... although based on the T&K thread that may be asking too much... I guess Ron is the only other fan here =>

John Harper

I think you're right: Japanese horror films are top-notch these days. Korea and China are also producing some good horror (and other genre) filmmakers.

The original Ring is a good place to start. You should definitely see the American re-make, too. It's different, and also very good.

Nakata has made several other good films, including Chaos and Dark Water. The Ring sequels are, um, not that great.

I also recommend:

Battle Royale - Kinji Fukasaku
A very twisted film about a grim Survivor-style competition, but to the death, and with kids.

Uzumaki - Higuchinsky
Odd, disjointed movie with Lovecraftian undertones and very wacky/gory sequences. It's the sort of film David Lynch would make, if he was Japanese, and on LSD.

Versus - Ryuhei Kitamura
My favorite of the Seattle Film Festival. A hyperkinetic action/horror/comedy flick heavily influenced by Sam Raimi and Evil Dead. This movie is laugh-out-loud fun from start to finish and has even more stylish posing than The Matrix. IMDB describes it as "Night of the Living Dead meets Hard Boiled" and that's about right.

That ought to get you started. :)
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

hardcoremoose

Nev,

If what you're asking is whether you should be watching Asian cinema, the answer is an unqualified "yes".  

However, I'd like to know, what is it about the thought of Asian cinema that appeals to you?  Clearly what you have read has left an impression on you.  Tell me more about that, and why it made you think of Sorcerer?

- Scott

And for the record, if you're looking to bust your Asian film cherry, go for Audition, Battle Royale, or the original Ring.  Unless you want hyperkinetic craziness, in which case you might like Versus, Wild Zero, or The Eternal Evil of Asia.

Nev the Deranged

I've heard of all the movies you guys mentioned, and they all sound cool.  I was thinking of Audition or Visitor Q as good ones to start with... but every time I read about one it suddenly becomes the coolest one, you know?  

I'm intrigued by the sincerity with which Asian moviemakers will tell ANY kind of story, no matter how bizarre, goofy, outlandish, or disturbing.  I could ramble on, but that's pretty much the basis of it.

That, and the lack of restrictions on the genre.  I mean, Americans think Natural Born Killers was a fucked up movie.  Battle Royale would make the average American moviegoer's brain implode.  I dig that.

As a fan of movies like Dead Alive, Dagon, and Cemetery Man, I can totally appreciate the over-the-top storytelling that seems to be the order of the day for Asian horror movies.  And at the same time, the brooding, surrealistic, creepy suspense type stuff that is so utterly missing from American horror movies appeals to me as well.

Hm.. you know what?  My ex wife still has my copy of Parasite Eve... I should go borrow that from her and watch it...

hardcoremoose

Nev,

I dig what you're saying, although I'd qualify at least a couple of your statements.  

One of the big myths of Asian cinema is that it's all over-the-top.  It isn't.  For every Wild Zero, there's something like Ring, which is in many ways very understated.

The other is that this stuff is the Holy Grail of horror and fantastic cinema.  Well, okay, maybe it is.  But still, they do occasionally make bad movies.  Stacy[/i[ and Rasen are, by all accounts (I can't say for sure, as I haven't seen them) very bad films.  And there are good genre filmmakers here in the States and in Europe (Olaf Ittenbach anyone?) who after struggling in obscurity, are starting to make waves.

How does all this relate to Sorcerer?  Hell, I don't know.  Private Message me though and we'll talk more.

- Scott

Nev the Deranged

Oh, I'm not under any illusions.  I know there is probably 20 utter crap movies for every one gem.  Since most Asian filmmakers crank out ten times the volume of films (or so I'm led to understand) for half (or less) the budget than any Hollywood producer would, there is no doubt a sea of drek to swim through to find each island of shining movie goodness.

And yes, I know it's not all berserk gore strewn mayhem, which is why I mentioned movies like Ring, Audition, and Visitor Q, which from what I understand have very slow pacing by American standards, and have no problem patiently developing the character relationships and quirky plots, sinking their fingers deep into your quiescent brain before taking firm grip and yanking your psyche screaming out your ear and flinging it into the void.

Okay maybe that's overdramatizing, but it sounded cool =>

As for Sorcerer, well... all I can say is... I still haven't played. >.<