News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Expanding the Pantheon (Robin Laws' Pantheon, that is)

Started by Jared A. Sorensen, May 02, 2001, 06:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared A. Sorensen

I'm curious if anyone has expanded upon the five Narrative Cage Match games in Robin Laws' excellent "Pantheon & Other Games" collection?

Right now the game has:
Aquatic SF/Horror
Japanese Monsters Movies
Gangsters
Soap Opera
Gods-creating-the-universe

One that I think cries out for its own treatment is the HK action film/buddy movie (ala John Woo's A Better Tomorrow or The Killer).  There are so many stylistic devices and plot elements common to Woo's films that it would be easy to draft up a Pantheon treatment.  I'd call it "Blood, Bullets and Brotherhood." :smile:

So, what other realms are ripe for expansion into Narrative Cage Matches?
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Mytholder

I keep wanting to do a Buffy scenario for it, 'cos everyone knows the characters so well and there are a lot of obvious genre points to pick up. A horror movie one (ghosts etc, not the monster movie) would work well too.

There's also the horrible temptation to depend into parody, and write up a scenario based on people you know. The University College Cork roleplaying society AGM scenario must *never* see the light of day....

Jared A. Sorensen

I think this is a good topic...and since we have a lot more people on the Forge now then when it was originally posted...

Does anyone want to write up some more games for "Pantheon & Other Games"?

Some genres that have yet to be touched upon:

HK action movie
Romance novel
Superhero comic book
John Hughes-esque teen comedy
War movie
Horse opera (ie: western)
Sci-fi anime show
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

James V. West

Is "The Pantheon" online? I'm not familar with it.

But I'll take a stab:

furries (pardon the phrase) in space

Evil Dead... (hmm...don't know how the pantheon works, but I just had a vision of a GM playing the role of Ash, or some other poor sap, and the players taking on the roles of various demons come to get his soul...)

Ice Pirates!! (I know someone has to remember that)

james v west