News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Magic Items

Started by tauman, March 03, 2003, 10:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

contracycle

Another thought.  Firstly IMO the weapons points should be recorded distinctly, otherwise mechanically the player could discard it and replace it with something else.  Secondly, how about the player can spend the SA's, and get XP, but only for buying the same SA for themselves.  They can use both simulataneously so over time the net effect increases.  When the weapon is detached from its owner, however, it leaves with a level as high as the combined total for the next bearer to contend with.

So you elf-killing axe starts at 1, say, and is weilded by a user who gets 2 points of elf-slaying themselves, and the next weilder gets the the axe at elf-slaying 3.
Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci

Durgil

I know that this is an old thread, but I had an idea yesterday concerning weapons with their own SA's and am wondering what the rest of you think about it.  If there is a sword with some SA, like Destiny, to kill Gols with a 3, then every time the character used that weapon to attack Gols, then he would receive 3 more dice to any attack roll, but he would drop the 3 lowest rolls.  For example, he attacks with 8 dice; the sword increases the pool to 11 and he keeps the 8 highest rolls.  I think this way would do more damage to a Gol, but the maximun amount of damage that is possible doesn't change.
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: DurgilI know that this is an old thread, but I had an idea yesterday concerning weapons with their own SA's and am wondering what the rest of you think about it.  If there is a sword with some SA, like Destiny, to kill Gols with a 3, then every time the character used that weapon to attack Gols, then he would receive 3 more dice to any attack roll, but he would drop the 3 lowest rolls.  For example, he attacks with 8 dice; the sword increases the pool to 11 and he keeps the 8 highest rolls.  I think this way would do more damage to a Gol, but the maximun amount of damage that is possible doesn't change.

The only potential concern with that is that you're introducing a new resolution system into the game which is something else the players have to remember (in fact, you're 7th Sea-ing it, in your example 11k8).

I think TROS has enough resolution systems as it is... is there a reason you want to tone the SA power of the sword down? If +3 dice seems too good, just limit it to +1 or +2. I guess what I'm saying is I don't understand why you want to limit it in this manner. Is there a reason, or do you just think that the Items-with-SA's makes them too powerful?

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Durgil

Quote from: Brian Leybourne... is there a reason you want to tone the SA power of the sword down? If +3 dice seems too good, just limit it to +1 or +2. I guess what I'm saying is I don't understand why you want to limit it in this manner. Is there a reason, or do you just think that the Items-with-SA's makes them too powerful?

Brian.
Just the reason I  stated in my above post:
Quote from: DurgilI think this way would do more damage to a Gol, but the maximun amount of damage that is possible doesn't change.
I would hope that these types of weapons wouldn't be common enough to cause too much concern, at least they wouldn't be IMC.

And, I don't know squat about 7th Sea, but taking the best (or worst) numbers of so many dice is a fairly common convention used to raise (or lower) the probabilities a bit without widening the given range.  It was just an idea.
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Durgiltaking the best (or worst) numbers of so many dice is a fairly common convention used to raise (or lower) the probabilities a bit without widening the given range.  It was just an idea.

Sure, I wasn't saying it was a bad idea either, just asking probing questions :-)

Essentially, whatever works for you in your game is right for your game. IMG I don't think I would do this, as it's yet another system the players have to remember ("Now, on this roll I have 7 dice, and I get 3 extra dice for the sword and 4 extra from my SA but I only keep the best 11, but on my dodge roll last exchange I got to keep all my dice, right?"). I don't see how the possible extra damage is a bad thing compared to possible player confusion, especially since as Seneschal I am aware the sword does that and can compensate if I like.

But as I say, YMM(and obviously does)V.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Jason Kottler

I'd like to speak to the earlier topic of how SAs are acquired by objects. Is it possible in TRoS for long periods rather than pivotal moments to imbue an artifact with SAs?

Let's say you have a ruling family in power for a thousand years. For the entire span of that thousand years, their headsman uses a cermonial longaxe to deliver justice to those convicted of treason. When that longaxe falls into the hands of PCs, could it have a Drive: Dispense Justice or Drive: Kill Enemies of Family X?
Jason Kottler -Ultrablamtacular!

Brian Leybourne

Sounds like a fantastic idea, Jason.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Daredevil

Hmm. Thinking about how these artifacts acquire their powers and about their histories brought to my mind the idea that noteworthy artifacts might during their time gain the SAs of their owner(s).

Also, perhaps it works the other way 'round as well, with characters slowly gaining the SAs of the artifact's previous ruler.

So, when the nigh legendary greatsword wielded by Fario the Fair in killing infidels during the Ten Years of Red Sands is found by in the ancient ruins by the new regency's chief archeologist, it's new owner will slowly find himself feeling the righteous fury of Fario because for all those long years the sword had felt the passion of that dark paladin and had slowly become imbued with it. Now, the old hatred simmers in that cold steel and finds willing flesh, turning its new owner's thoughts on hatred for those who so long ago had come to these lands as invaders .. those who now rule it as lords.

Anyway, I think it makes for great and personal story fodder -- well, just like the SAs in general.

- Joachim Buchert -

Durgil

Sounds like the Ruling Ring of TLotR, Joachim.
Tony Hamilton

Ashren Va'Hale

heres some thoughts for you, I like the idea of a  sword or item being imbued with magic in the form of SA's, but the question is how does a chracter find or aquire such a weapon, well, after careful thought I figured the talisman rules would work great.

The major magic weapon/item (talisman) gift would give you a SA with a value of 2 and minor would give it a value of 1... or alternately if you wish to risk the power being unleashed the major gift can have a total of 2 sa's (drive + destiny) while the minor would only have 1 sa (drive only).

The PC or the senechal would have to describe the origin of the item  with the GM defining the SA's most likely. this would be a really fun gift to give players and the sa's dont need to be combat related, like a sword of truth that adds dice to finding out secrets and lies.... that kind of thing... I think I will make this a house rule.
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!