News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Cooperative GMing Mechanics

Started by FilthySuperman, August 23, 2001, 01:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FilthySuperman

I was struck with the idea of comprising a gaming system around strictly two players. It would be more of a "world building" fantasy game than an epic fantasy / dungeon crawl game. The idea being that the sum goal of the game is to create premise then expand. For example:

Both players jointly GM each other rolling up characters, they discuss the characters in depth and reason out the characters motivations. Principally they are either true allies or true enemies. Then one player begins as the GM whilst the other is in control of only his own character. The player GMing would then be free to use his own character as an NPC, but could not reward his character abusively. In this facet the GM describes the setting, and other base NPCs. The next session they swap and expand. Then again.. then again. The goal being to jointly create a world through role-play.
The way I see it, if I create the roleplaying game as original then it should be a simulationist driven premise engine with either gamist or narrative gameplay, designed for two GMs and formulated for extended campaigns.

Have I confused myself yet?

T.

Ron Edwards

Superfilth-O,

It's an interesting idea. I think it might reflect what a lot of people have done by e-mail or snail-mail as an alternative to the usual form of play.

As far as the world-building aspects go, there's at least one major game design effort going on by some Forge members that's relevant. Stay tuned for when they go live. All I'll say now is that there's no reason why you should limit yourself to two participants.

I'm not sure where your GNS notions at the end are coming from; they seem all kerflooey to me ... but that's a topic for another forum.

Best,
Ron