News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Tough life being a giant?

Started by Aaron, March 04, 2003, 11:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

Quote from: Noon

As for falling, I thought you did add toughness. It doesn't seem to suggest otherwise. Essentially I thought you'd have to fall a fair way, then be unlucky enough to not 'tumble' it out, ie not spread it over several locations, just land on one part HARD (ouch!).

Check the example on page 96 Noon. There's no mention of Vhord's toughness.  It calculates the damage simply by seeing how far he has fallen.;)..
Aaron

Mike Holmes

Huh, so TO as size is already acounted for. Neat. Doesn't allow for creatures that would be better at taking a fall, but then that's probably not often a consideration.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Durgil

I'm not finding any of my old House Rules pertaining to this subject so I'm going from memory and rewriting them.  I'll post them up here when I get them finished in a few days.

Sorry,
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.

Durgil

Just a quick WARNING to those who are not looking for serious detail in the RPG or who are mathematically changed: THESE HOUSE RULES ARE NOT FOR YOU!  Personally I use MS Excel for all of my calculations, but a decent scientific calculator would work as well.

The way I look at the Strength and Toughness attributes is that they are relative to the overall size of the character whether they are a PC or NPC and many humanoid type creatures such as Orcs and Trolls.  The campaign that I am currently working on at this time is highly modeled after Tolkien's Middle-earth, so the various species that I refer to in examples contained in this write up are going to be my interpretation of those found there and not in Wyerth.

Because these attributes are dependant on size, it is very important to utilize a realist way to determine an "ideal" weight based on height.  This I have done with the following formula:

Weight = 10 x e^(0.04 x Height in Inches)
Where "e" is the base of the natural logarithm and equal to 2.71828182845904

There are many factors that you can have that would adjust this "ideal" weight up or down.  I use such things as species, sex, and frame, as well as TRoS's Relative Strength (rST), and EN.  These adjustments are in increments of 5% rarely totally below -20% or above +30% and never going below -40% or above +75%.

The next thing that I had to change was TRoS's lifting capacity table.  Due to the fact that the initial ST score is relative to the character's weight, the amount that they could lift to the three listed positions had to be listed in percent of body weight as follows:

ST AOGL ATCL AOHL
1 50% 30% 10%
2 70% 50% 30%
3 90% 70% 50%
4 110% 90% 70%
5 130% 110% 90%
6 150% 130% 110%
7 170% 150% 130%
8 190% 170% 150%
9 210% 190% 170%
10 230% 210% 190%
11 250% 230% 210%
12 270% 250% 230%
13 290% 270% 250%
14 310% 290% 270%
15 330% 310% 290%
16 350% 330% 310%
17 370% 350% 330%
18 390% 370% 350%
19 410% 390% 370%
20 430% 410% 390%

AOGL is the Automatic Off the Ground Lift
ATCL is the Automatic To the Chest Lift
AOHL is the Automatic Over the Head Lift

To lift an amount of weight to a certain position, a number of dice are rolled equal to the character's rST.  The TN is determined by the percent of body weight of the weight and the attempted position.  Weights up to and including the percent listed have a TN of 1, which is considered automatic.  The TN increases by 1 for every 5% increase of body weight of the weight.  Example: A person weighing 140 lbs with a rST of 4 can automatically lift 154 lbs off the ground.  His TN increases from a 1 (or automatic) to 4 if he attempts to bring the weight up to his chest, and the TN increases to 8 if he attempts to lift the weight above his head.  The number of successes determines how long the weight can be maintained in that position as it is in the rules book.

Once the final weight has been determined, use the above chart along with the final weight and the following formula to determine the character's Absolute Strength (aST).

aST = 1/3 x SQRT(ATCL x Final Body Weight + 5)

To determine the Absolute Toughness (aTO) use the following formula:

aTO = SQRT(rTO) x SQRT(Final Body Weight/140)

Using these formulas, I have come up with an Olog with the following Absolute Strength and Toughness scores:

His height is 9' tall (111").  This puts his ideal weight at ~848 lbs, which I have adjusted by 135% to 1187 lbs.  His rST is 6 and his rTO is 5.  Calculated out, this puts his aST at 13, and his aTO at 13.

I have tried to incorporate as much of the Squared-Cubed Law and other natural laws of physics such as lever action that I deemed pertinent to this subject.  This is the reason why I would be hesitant to create humanoid creatures any bigger than 15' or smaller than 2' unless they are highly magical and can use that magic to defy those natural laws previously stated.

As always if there are any suggestions or complaints about my work to this point, I welcome them at my email address.
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.

Shadeling

I remember Jake saying TO is subtracted from falling damage.
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Ashren Va'Hale

I found that dividing the square of the ideal weight by Pi(e+5) whil;e controlling for the variable of the quazi modem modulator.... OOOOOOOOWWWWWW AAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAG MAKE THE HURTING STOP!!!!!
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Durgil

Quote from: Ashren Va'HaleMAKE THE HURTING STOP!!!!!
You must have missed my BOLD, RED "WARNING" IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS to the mathematically challenged. =-)

This is all done in the character generation for the players and while the GM creates the adventure.  It really shouldn't slow down game-play.
Tony Hamilton

Ashren Va'Hale

mathematically challenged yeah maybe, but there should have been a mention of the sane as well dangit :)

"TROS, everything you need in one core rule book, a scientific calculator, and a calculus class!"
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Durgil

I've never taken any calculas, and I'm only talking about a single button on a $10.00 calculator or a single function on a spreadsheet.  Besides that, if you don't like my ideas, please feel free to continue using what ever you used before my post and disregard any future posts by me on this subject or most other subjects for that matter.
Tony Hamilton

Ashren Va'Hale

gosh, dont take it hard, I am just having some fun with you.

Brian Leybourne

Lets keep it nice, guys...

And hey, Ashren... a Modem Modulator? You do know what MODEM stands for, right? :-)
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Durgil

Don't get me wrong, there's no hard feelings; I'm just saying you can take it or leave it.  Earlier on in this topic, I said that I've been messing around with some house rules that came up with a tough looking Black Troll Middle-earth style, and a few people emailed me asking to post what I had so I did.
Tony Hamilton

Ashren Va'Hale

yes. Quazi modem modulator was a joke my electronics teacher used when he was spouting gibberish at the students who weren't paying attention. and come on guys, it was all in good humor.