News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

How many stories in a setting?

Started by Rob Donoghue, March 07, 2003, 04:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Donoghue

Assuming you've got a persistant group of players, how many campaigns are you looking to run in any given setting (defined, for this purpose, as a fixed set of pre-written material, whether personally created or purchased)?

It hit me that part of the reason I like shorter, punchier settings is that I rarely use a setting more than once without changing it enough that it is effectively a different setting, but it also struck me that this may be atypical, especially considering the ubiquity of the Forgotten Realms sort of model.  I'm really chewing on FR vs. FF7 in my mind, so I'm curious as to people's answers (and if they correlate to how you approach setting material)

-Rob D.
Rob Donoghue
<B>Fate</B> -
www.faterpg.com

Johannes

Well it depends etc.

Our group played in Harn for a decade and we run around 15 campaings there. How ever we reset the klock every time we begun a new campaing so it is a interesting question wheter the setting was the same. After ten years of Harn I got totally bored of this exellent setting and I cannot imagine myself playing or GMing there EVER again.

When not playing in Harn we have used other settings in a setting per campaing ratio. CoC is an exeption to this rule but here again it is questionable if the setting remined the same in different campaings.

I think setting per campaing and many campaings per setting both have their strenghts: setting per campaing allows you to try different things and many campaings in the same setting allow for very real feeling because you know the setting so well.
Johannes Kellomaki