News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A slight trepidation

Started by FilthySuperman, August 24, 2001, 02:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FilthySuperman

I've recently finished a very nice and playable version of my game Any Town, U.S.A.
Anyone who checked it out before when I was looking for playtesters will find the newever version is utterly different and much more conducive to the niche it's in. I'm considering putting the finished version on my site for free download, and adding a pay pal account to the site for donations. As mentioned in the subject I have a slight trepidation about doing this. My artwork hasn't come through, and I've decided not to include it when it does untill I have a better idea of what I'm going to ultimately do with this game. So basically I'm talking about a .pdf file that's going to amount to under 30 pages. (I've decided to leave alot of room for extras in the event I ever decide to publish) I wouldn't be so bold as to charge for each download, as I don't feel there's enough product to merit it. I do however feel that even in it's brevity, my game is amazingly complete and will be alot of fun for anyone who plays it. I still don't know how much I like the idea of having a pay pal donation area...
I guess I either need someone to tell me I'm being a whore and that I'm getting away from what Indie designing should be about..
Or that it's perfectly okay to ask for a little financial recognition for something I've put alot of hard work into.

Essentially the game will be free.. I'm just considering asking that anyone who feels it's worth it drop a buck or two off of thier credit card.

Thoughts? Advice? Issues? Flames?

T

Ron Edwards

T,

That's the best thing you can do. Sorcerer began as "shareware" in exactly the same way.

What are you trepidatious about, anyway? It's not like you're asking them to buy a pig in a poke, and if anyone gets all fired-up about how awful it is to conduct commerce, well, that person doesn't have to pay.

Best,
Ron