News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Wuxia TROS

Started by Shadeling, January 23, 2003, 02:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadeling

Quote from: HeavenlyrockShadeling-

I think you want to use Sorcery like you thought... there is a spell called Flight in the book if you don't remember :).  It used two vagaries "movement" and "summoning" and both were at 2... it also had the effects of Speed, Manerverability, Lift, and Magic (constant 1day/success) all at 2... it stated the sorcerer is capable of sustained flight.  They can make 90 degree turns in a single motion, and may take damage based on speed (shortened a little).  There is also another spell if that is not exactly what you want (more of a hover, high jump, or runing with the help of like trees), it is called Levitation.  It uses movement and summoning both at 1's and has the effects of Speed, Lift, and Magic (1 hour/success) all at 1's... it states, "the sorceror may float up to 10 yards off the ground and hover.  Horizontal movement may be accomplished by the exertion of force in the desired direction.  (the sorcer must push himself along...)".  So, with out a doubt, Tros can support what you are wanting... I hoped this helped :)... and if you already knew this well think of it as a reminder.

Thanks. Yes I knew of the spells, I have made use of them in my games. But that is just one aspect of sorcery. Sorcery at its core is spontaneous and versatile. So while those example spells are good and well for most Wuxia feats, I can think of using the Movement vagary for more than just that. Lastly, in Wuxia, you aren't having these people casting Spells of Three before they start their day...no it is more of an innate ability.
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Heavenlyrock

Shadeling-

Yeah... I was just giving you examples... for what vagaries you would want to use :).  So, yeah I was basically agreeing with you that movement was a major vagary that you want and to also think about summoning, because it is used for sustaining... which should prove important for someone in the air (falling sucks).  The Spells of Three is just so you knew where to look them up.  It will also give you a good idea of what the target numbers should look like.  Good luck in this :).

Shadeling

Quote from: HeavenlyrockShadeling-

Yeah... I was just giving you examples... for what vagaries you would want to use :).  So, yeah I was basically agreeing with you that movement was a major vagary that you want and to also think about summoning, because it is used for sustaining... which should prove important for someone in the air (falling sucks).  The Spells of Three is just so you knew where to look them up.  It will also give you a good idea of what the target numbers should look like.  Good luck in this :).

Thanks, but like I said-I have used them in my games quite a bit. But again, thank you.

Shadeling

I guess I would have to make up some new unarmed proficiencies, as well as stat out some new weapons.

svenlein

maybe practicing with their weapons, and centering their soul each morning would be recasting their spell of 3.  Thats just how they cast spells.

svenlein

One thing to concider about proficiencies.  In the movies uncontested actions like walking on water or jumping large distances are either possible for a person or not, it is very rare when someone attempts something and fails, in other words for a given ability there is a large range of actions that will work almost every time, there are also a large range of actions that will never work for that person at thier skill level, and there is a tiny middle ground where it may or may not work.
Possible example: Jumping to the roof of a building and leaping from roof top to roof top: easy almost every time,  Jumping to the moon: impossible, Jumping from ledge to ledge up a cliff while holding your wounded partner while the black monkey poison is beginning to corse through your veins: only in this one would a roll probably be necessary, but your SAs would likely get you through it.

Contested actions are another story.

Scott

Shadeling

Quote from: svenleinOne thing to concider about proficiencies.  In the movies uncontested actions like walking on water or jumping large distances are either possible for a person or not, it is very rare when someone attempts something and fails, in other words for a given ability there is a large range of actions that will work almost every time, there are also a large range of actions that will never work for that person at thier skill level, and there is a tiny middle ground where it may or may not work.
Possible example: Jumping to the roof of a building and leaping from roof top to roof top: easy almost every time,  Jumping to the moon: impossible, Jumping from ledge to ledge up a cliff while holding your wounded partner while the black monkey poison is beginning to corse through your veins: only in this one would a roll probably be necessary, but your SAs would likely get you through it.

Contested actions are another story.

Scott

Good point...kinda where my thought process was headed...lots to think about...

Shadeling

Maybe you have a Chi-Pool (read sorcery pool), which you set aside dice from to have various wire-fu effects going on. For example. you set aside dice to have wall running, light-footed movement, and far-leaping (nearly flying). I haven't yet figured out the number of dice yet (perhaps like a maintained spell of one).

Jake, you mentioned that you considered stunts originally for the game.
I am considering applying them since I believe that would make combat more cinematic.
I am thinkin of copying Exalteds stunts system: If a player describes his action colourfully he receives 1-3 bonus dice for his action. I believe this would also make players consider more their standard maneuvers. If they have blocked a strike to their left side the logical followup would be a cut to opponents right side, not a thrust to legs etc.
Comments, ideas?

Shadeling

Quote from: VilleJake, you mentioned that you considered stunts originally for the game.
I am considering applying them since I believe that would make combat more cinematic.
I am thinkin of copying Exalteds stunts system: If a player describes his action colourfully he receives 1-3 bonus dice for his action. I believe this would also make players consider more their standard maneuvers. If they have blocked a strike to their left side the logical followup would be a cut to opponents right side, not a thrust to legs etc.
Comments, ideas?

I think that is a smashing idea.

Jake Norwood

Quote from: VilleJake, you mentioned that you considered stunts originally for the game.
Comments, ideas?

Ron does something similar in Sorcerer; it's a fantastic narrativist mechanic. I think that stunts should cost dice to do, but swell descriptions could nullify some (but maybe not all) of those penalties.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Shadeling

Well I think I will be getting back to work on my wuxia TROS idea...

Brian Leybourne

Just to stick on a moderator hat for a sec, when a thread is this old (nearly 2 months) it's usually good protocol to start a new thread (and refer back to the old one) rather than resurrecting a really old one.

Still, it's done now, feel free to gun on, but keep in mind for next time perhaps.

Thanks,
Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion