News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Shield bashing

Started by Overdrive, March 20, 2003, 03:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overdrive

Hi,

The shield thread got me thinking. The shield could be used at least in two ways when attacking.

1) Swinging/clubbing with the shiels. Works about as the pommel attack with a sword (BTW, any "official" rules on pommel attacks?)

2) Slamming or ramming the enemy using the shield as cover, trying to knock the enemy down or off balance, perhaps hurting him. No rules on this kind of maneuver, right?

Warhorses charging on the enemy might also use the second option. You could even do that without the shield if you risk getting hit. What rules do you guys use? I bet there's something in the OBAM, at least regarding the horse charges, but I'd like to have something sooner :)

arxhon

Bind and strike uses the shield as a weapon, where you use the DTN as an ATN (making it harder to bash with large shields, which makes sense to me).

A shield bash would simply be a blunt weapon attack, say with ST-1 or even ST-2 damage. Would probably default at -3 or 4 for certain proficiencies (Greatsword, etc) that don't use shields.

For the second one, use a variation of the Hook proficiency, or roll ST vs. Knockdown, with a die or two extra for CP if the attacker is running or charging.

I just came up with these by interpolating the combat maneuvers as they stand right now, with some creativity.

If you don't like them, that's ok. Make something up that you feel works. :-)

Mokkurkalfe

The official rule for pommel strikes (correct me if I'm wrong) is to treat it as a punch, with a DR equal to ST.  Though perhaps the shield bash would do less damage.

Quote2) Slamming or ramming the enemy using the shield as cover, trying to knock the enemy down or off balance, perhaps hurting him. No rules on this kind of maneuver, right?

Technically, no. But the results of this maneuver are exactly the same as the "bind" part of a bind&strike. Just narrate it a little differently.
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Lance D. Allen

A shield-bash is not normally intended to inflict damage (though, generally, the basher wouldn't be averse to injuring their opponent) but is instead intended to unbalance or better yet, knock down their opponent(s).

I think I would treat it as a terrain roll, with the successes modifying a subsequent knockdown check for the attacked person. If they wish instead to maneuver out of the way by making their own terrain roll or doing a full or partial evade, I can see that too.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls