News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Simple, Quick Question

Started by Shadeling, April 03, 2003, 01:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadeling

Ok, I am having a brain-fart today. If I am using a Longsword 2 Handed, it is the Greatsword/Longsword Proficiency.

If I am using it 1 Handed, do I use Sword and Shield?

I was curious, because that is how I have been doing it.

Thanks in advance.
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Mokkurkalfe

Huh... Personally, I've been using the Longsword profiency, even when 1 handed. But now when I think about it, I thin Sword and Shield would be more correct. I mean, why else does it have activation costs for parrying and countering when *not* wearing a shield?
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Brian Leybourne

The problem with that it is means recalculating your CP every time you decide to switch grips from 1-handed to 2-handed and vice versa. I would just use the Greatsword/Longsword proficiency both ways for simplicity.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Shadeling

Quote from: Brian LeybourneThe problem with that it is means recalculating your CP every time you decide to switch grips from 1-handed to 2-handed and vice versa. I would just use the Greatsword/Longsword proficiency both ways for simplicity.

Brian.

I can see it both ways. I mean you could always just have your Sword and Shield Prof. also written on your sheet.

Or use Great/Long for 1/2H, but the the moment you decide to wield that longsword 1H with a shield, then you have to use Sword and Shield.

Nick the Nevermet

My question is, what are you doing with the other hand?  I'm assuming this came up / will come up potentially in play?

Shadeling

Quote from: Nick PagnuccoMy question is, what are you doing with the other hand?  I'm assuming this came up / will come up potentially in play?

What do you do with the other hand when you fight with an Arming Sword, or Short Sword and no Shield? Same thing if you are using a Bastard Sword or Longsword 1Handed I imagine. Good question though, what do you do with your hand when you fight with a weapon 1H and no Shield.

It hasn't so much come up during play...I just wanted to get the consensus on what others were doing, since I have been doing it one way for the last 6+months.

Jake Norwood

Use whichever is better. Really.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Shadeling

Quote from: Jake NorwoodUse whichever is better. Really.

Jake

Cool. Sounds good to me. Think I will start to implement that.

Lance D. Allen

It makes sense to me that someone who is trained to use a greatsword or a longsword will have knowledge of how to use a long-sword one handed.

At the same time, sword-and-shield can be used to cover almost any sort of single sword, from a short sword to a bastard sword, dependent upon how you choose to use it. A shortsword would not be best used in that fashion, however.. It is primarily a thrusting weapon, so it would be best to use it so.

So, yeah. What Jake said.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls