News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Two Hour Demo Games? How? Explain!

Started by Dotan Dimet, March 14, 2003, 05:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dotan Dimet

I've seen posts here about demo games and cons with two-hour long slots, and since my only experience is with the standard 4-hours-dragging-on-to-6 convention rounds, I'd really like to hear some practical suggestions on how on earth one manages to fit a satisfying game into a really short time span.

Or am I misinterpreting this? Are the 2 hour demos only good for giving experienced gamers a taste of a new system? Are they just "I'll hand out some pregens and we'll run a quick combat?" Or is it possible to run a 2 (or even 3) hour game that is an actual game, that doesn't sell a particular system but instead just sells roleplaying?

Just a little context: I'm part of an Israeli roleplaying organization. We've been doing standard cons for the regular gamer crowd (mostly late teens / early twenties people) for around ten years or so. During this time, the predominent style that has developed is freeform (no rules to explain, pure text character sheets), with simple or familiar settings (generic fantasy,  modern or historical action, psychological drama or supernatural horror). The commercial settings that appear are either used for their familiarity (Vampire, other White Wolf stuff, Call of Cthulhu, Amber) or their exotic flavor (Nobilis, Blue Planet - whatever cool book a GM's keen on running, actually). My point is that we've pretty much optimized the con game to let us skip the rules and finer points of setting and get down to the roleplaying.

Anyway, we're now planning to collaborate with two other fan groups - SF&F fans and Trekkies - and bring our agenda to their flagship con, which is pretty much a film festival, with games relegated to a nearby building.

Last year we did this (I was one of the organizers) and we got a lukewarm (but still enjoyable) standard con next to theirs; This year, we're trying to find ways to "think outside the box" and make this something better. For example, we like long games and we like (need) advanced registration, while this con is really the place for walk-in customers and short, "filler" events.

One of the better ideas we had last year, I suspect, was running as much Baron Munchausen as possible; We had a demo with entertaining roleplayers (extroverts with excellent LARPing skills) doing it on stage, and then ran several small groups of it. Another experiment we had a few years back (the first time we took part in this con) was a strategic tabletop/LARP hybrid (3 groups representing the cabinets of the US, USSR and Japan, dealing with First Contact). Both these things are cool, but they're regular games in length.

Ron Edwards

Hi Dotan,

Look what I found! Two hour sessions, all set. If it's not clear from the thread, I want to specify that each of the games played in the sessions being discussed created a "story," rather than simply setting up a combat scene. Let us know if that helps out.

This thread is a little off the subject, but I think parts of the discussion are relevant to your point.

I also want to say that your post is fascinating and very enlightening about role-playing in your part of the world. Please tell us more, and I think a lot of people at the Forge will lots of suggestions for you.

Best,
Ron

Dotan Dimet

Thanks, Ron.

Yes, it was the demon con discussion I recall. I think there were some follow-up threads about the actual games, though. Any idea where it showed up? I tried to search for "demon con", but didn't find it.

off-topic-addition-of-'local color': we've had a "demon-con" or two over here as well, organized by a group of vetran gamers who run a site/webzine called "Demons Under the Sink", where you can also find their approved Hebrew translations of Fuzion, Powergame and Dust Devils.

The advice you give (in the cited link) is sound, although most of it is applicable to longer convention rounds as well - for example, pre-gens are pretty standard, and it's pretty clear (at least in the adventures I've played in or seen written up) that good GMs focus on a few key aspects of the system/setting and build their game around that.

Some of your other points, such as provide strong hooks up front and lots of options - are more interesting, as they sound like an alternative to the classic strong railroading of some of the more successful con games.

I think what I'm looking for are more tips or examples for plots or set-ups for use in two hour stories.

Cheers,
Dotan

Michael S. Miller

Here's a tip. Many games scenarios have the "finding out what's really going on" phase followed by the "doing something about what's really going on" phase. To cut time, cut the first phase entirely. Don't begin with something along the lines of: "You're called the scene of a mysterious murder.", begin instead with "You've learned that the cult of Thrakrrzog is behind a string of mysterious murders." You still leave the players with plenty of room of how to react to this information, but you skip the slow, often dull, investigation phase.
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Jake Norwood

Look up any actual play post by me. My games all run about 2-4 hours, and we do one-shots very frequently. My "advice" is:

-Don't waste time. Scene-cut ferociously, and skip anything that doesn't rock. Combat should be important, as should any die-intensive scenes.

-Push for the climax. Look for opportunities and really really make it easy to get there.

-Focus on the players actions, not on your plans.

Um, well, these all seem to be hallmarks of so-called narrativst play as I understand it. That may be saying something.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

jdagna

I have some additional suggestions:

1) Describe your plot well.  By this, I mean let players know how the scenario will play out  in the con-book description.  If your plot description is "Solving a murder" try describing how - will the players follow an obvious trail of clues and kill the bad guy in a grand shoot out, or will it be subtle intrigue and role-playing to collect clues and report the evildoer to the cops?  With a description that summarizes the way you intend players to solve it, you will both attract players who want to solve it that way and give the players an idea of what to expect and how to act.

2) Experienced players are faster.  I have a scenario I designed to run in 4 hours and it usually takes that long with a group of fairly amateur average convention-goers.  But experienced players have solved the scenario in as little as 15 minutes (with an average closer to 1.5 to 2 hours).  They learn the system faster and spend less time dithering over what to do.  So, you can try marking one or two of your demos as being for experienced players only.

3) Adjust as necessary.  Sometimes, a group can be moving along well and then a botched die roll messes their whole plan up, throwing it into disarray.  Feel free to bend the rules or the scenario to avoid making them regroup and start over.  Likewise, if the group seems interested in some red herring element, adjust the plot to include it.  Also, don't be afraid to step out of GM mode and give advice or even reveal information the characters shouldn't know.
Justin Dagna
President, Technicraft Design.  Creator, Pax Draconis
http://www.paxdraconis.com