News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Kukri

Started by Sneaky Git, April 08, 2003, 05:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sneaky Git

Hmm.  Here's a question.  How would a Khukuri (commonly known as the Kukri), the Nepalese fighting knife made famous by Gurkhas, translate into TRoS?  It's a knife (a pretty big one, I think), but with a heavy chopping blade.  Would it somehow be a cross between a knife and an axe?  Or a knife and a khopesh sword?  What do you all think?

Oh, btw.. here are two links that talk about it.  A bit biased, to be truthful, but interesting reads nonetheless.

http://www.army.mod.uk/brigade_of_gurkhas/history/Kukri_History.htm

http://www.btinternet.com/~britishempire/empire/forces/armyunits/gurkha/gurkhaskukri.htm

Chris
Molon labe.
"Come and get them."

- Leonidas of Sparta, in response to Xerxes' demand that the Spartans lay down their arms.

Eamon Voss

Quote from: Sneaky GitHmm.  Here's a question.  How would a Khukuri (commonly known as the Kukri), the Nepalese fighting knife made famous by Gurkhas, translate into TRoS?  It's a knife (a pretty big one, I think), but with a heavy chopping blade.  Would it somehow be a cross between a knife and an axe?  Or a knife and a khopesh sword?  What do you all think?

Oh, btw.. here are two links that talk about it.  A bit biased, to be truthful, but interesting reads nonetheless.

http://www.army.mod.uk/brigade_of_gurkhas/history/Kukri_History.htm

http://www.btinternet.com/~britishempire/empire/forces/armyunits/gurkha/gurkhaskukri.htm

I love kukris!  So in my incredibly biased view I think they should have the stats of the doppelsword.

Realistically, I guess they should be done as a combination between the knife and axe, or shortsword and axe.  They throw well too so add that in.
Realism in a melee game is not a matter of critical hit charts, but rather the ability to impart upon the player the dynamism of combat.

Nick the Nevermet

IMHO, its a dagger, but switch the Cut and Thrust numbers so its designed for slashing, not stabbing.

Eamon Voss

Quote from: Nick PagnuccoIMHO, its a dagger, but switch the Cut and Thrust numbers so its designed for slashing, not stabbing.

My first instinct is to go, 'What?!?'  But in retrospect, you might be right.  Maybe give a +1 on slash damage or something at most for a big, meaty version of the knife.
Realism in a melee game is not a matter of critical hit charts, but rather the ability to impart upon the player the dynamism of combat.

Jake Norwood

I'd give it stats like...

Range: Short or Hand
ATN: (cut) 6 (thrust 7 or worse)
Dam: ST + 2c, STp
DTN: 7

It really not a stabbing weapon, nor does it have any of the trappings needed for a good defensive weapon except that it's got enough mass to displace many attacks. It's real strength is in how vicious of a cut it's got for it's length.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Nick the Nevermet

Quote from: Eamon Voss
My first instinct is to go, 'What?!?'  But in retrospect, you might be right.  Maybe give a +1 on slash damage or something at most for a big, meaty version of the knife.

Sorry for not being clear; when I said 'cut and thrust numbers' I meant both TN and damage.  My grandpa came back from WWII with a Kukri (wish I knew the story behind getting it), scabard and all.  It really is an impressive looking weapon, and definitely looks like a slash/chop from that would be a very, very bad thing.

Salamander

Quote from: Nick Pagnucco
It really is an impressive looking weapon, and definitely looks like a slash/chop from that would be a very, very bad thing.

It is.
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".

Eamon Voss

Quote from: Salamander
Quote from: Nick Pagnucco
It really is an impressive looking weapon, and definitely looks like a slash/chop from that would be a very, very bad thing.
It is.

While it is a nasty weapon, I can't reconcile giving it a +2 slash.  That makes it the equivalent of a falchion.  I would argue for a +1 slash.

Jake Norwood

I gave it a +2 cut based on what I've read and handled. A kukri, though only 18" long, can behead a man. They have a spectacular cut. Their disadvantages are their length and--I presume--defensive capabilities. While I agree that a messer is probably meaner, I think it deserves better than ST+1...ST+1.5 might be perfect, but pointless.

Perhaps ST+1 for the foot-long variety, and ST+2 for the longer variety (up to 2')?

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Eamon Voss

Quote from: Jake NorwoodI gave it a +2 cut based on what I've read and handled. A kukri, though only 18" long, can behead a man. They have a spectacular cut. Their disadvantages are their length and--I presume--defensive capabilities. While I agree that a messer is probably meaner, I think it deserves better than ST+1...ST+1.5 might be perfect, but pointless.

Perhaps ST+1 for the foot-long variety, and ST+2 for the longer variety (up to 2')?

Hmmm... the pointless and idiotic solution to this conundrum is to heavily modify TROS.  Lets multiply the damage values by 100.  Then we can make the damage results per weapon more specific.  Of course, this would require multiplying armor and toughness values by 100, and modifications to the damage charts will have to ensue.  And while we are at it, lets add a d100 randomizing value to damage.

Sorry.  Couldn't help myself after the meeting I just left.  I think Jake's solution is good, and fits better into the TROS weapon description paradigm.

Mike Holmes

I'd allow the +2 for largish ones. And allow big Falchions to go to +3 or higher.

Anyone want to do stats for a Headsman's Falchion (or the sword or axe while we're at it)? Unlikley to be used in combat, but, hey, you never know.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Jake NorwoodI gave it a +2 cut based on what I've read and handled. A kukri, though only 18" long, can behead a man. They have a spectacular cut. Their disadvantages are their length and--I presume--defensive capabilities. While I agree that a messer is probably meaner, I think it deserves better than ST+1...ST+1.5 might be perfect, but pointless.Perhaps ST+1 for the foot-long variety, and ST+2 for the longer variety (up to 2')?

Sounds reasonable enough. My biggest problem so far is the 7 DTN you gave it. They're relatively short and unwieldy (so far as trying to get them in the way of a sword), I would have to say 8 fits better IMO.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion