News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Explaining Sorcery in Game Terms

Started by Sneaky Git, March 29, 2003, 08:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sneaky Git

I know that there has been a ton of talk about how magic works, how to make speels, and whatnot... And I know that the rules suggest that "as a general guideline sorcery is scientific in it application but not its effect." (Revised Ed. p110)

I certainly belong to the school of thought that magic is magic.  And here is my problem (although "problem" might be too strong a word).  I want to explain magic in game terms... Mages don't accelerate molecules in order to start a fire, they __________.

What I'm saying is this.. how would the sorcerers in a Weyrth-like reality describe what they do?  How they do it?  Would they even try?

Oh, and another question...am I correct in assuming that every spell with a duration greater than instant needs Summoning?  If not, when does Summoning apply?

What do you think?

Chris
Molon labe.
"Come and get them."

- Leonidas of Sparta, in response to Xerxes' demand that the Spartans lay down their arms.

Sneaky Git

Quote from: Sneaky GitI know that there has been a ton of talk about how magic works, how to make speels, and whatnot...

Ahem... "spells" even.

Doh.
Molon labe.
"Come and get them."

- Leonidas of Sparta, in response to Xerxes' demand that the Spartans lay down their arms.

Brian Leybourne

I'm not even going to begin to tackle the rest of your message (because I'm tired of talking about it AGAIN) but as for your last question...

Yes, Summoning is used to fuel the Duration component of spells. Duration 1 requires Summoning 1, right through to Duration 3 that requires Summoning 3.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Sneaky Git

Quote from: Brian LeybourneI'm not even going to begin to tackle the rest of your message (because I'm tired of talking about it AGAIN)
Sorry. Didn't mean for it to be a live grenade.

Quote from: Brian Leybournebut as for your last question...

Yes, Summoning is used to fuel the Duration component of spells. Duration 1 requires Summoning 1, right through to Duration 3 that requires Summoning 3.

Brian.
Cool.  Thanks.

Chris
Molon labe.
"Come and get them."

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Sneaky Git
Quote from: Brian LeybourneI'm not even going to begin to tackle the rest of your message (because I'm tired of talking about it AGAIN)
Sorry. Didn't mean for it to be a live grenade.

Yeah, sorry, that was a bit rude. I probably should have dropped a smiley in there, it's just one of those topics that seems to come up again and again, every couple of months and after a while you get sick of talking about it :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Lance D. Allen

To make a fire, sorcerers rapidly increase the temperature in a specific location.

To make something/someone grow/shrink, they simply expand/contract their aura, forcing their body to mirror it.

Illusions are sculpted out of light and shadow.

Or perhaps they simply push <vagary> in just this certain way, like their master taught them, to get this effect, and combine it with this effect... voila!
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Sneaky Git

Quote from: Brian LeybourneYeah, sorry, that was a bit rude. I probably should have dropped a smiley in there, it's just one of those topics that seems to come up again and again, every couple of months and after a while you get sick of talking about it :-)

Brian.

Thanks... and no harm no foul.   That's what I like about this place...  Lots of polite folks all interested in (basically) the same thing (TRoS... duh).

Quote from: WolfenTo make a fire, sorcerers rapidly increase the temperature in a specific location.

To make something/someone grow/shrink, they simply expand/contract their aura, forcing their body to mirror it.

Illusions are sculpted out of light and shadow.

Or perhaps they simply push <vagary> in just this certain way, like their master taught them, to get this effect, and combine it with this effect... voila!

Cool!  Now that's what I'm talkin about!  Thanks!

Chris
Molon labe.
"Come and get them."