News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Mechanics

Started by Rekar, March 31, 2003, 07:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rekar

I am currently throwing around ideas for a future based RPG.  It will not contain any classes, but skills that would be part of a class.  This eliminates the fustration that some players have cause they cannot use certain skills due to class restrictions.  I am however having trouble on deciding on mechanics for the game though.  I have the idea of making 2 different "realms".  One will be the "real world", and the other will be a virtualy world.  The "real world" contains multiple planets with different races that have advanced technologically.  Some are primitave and others are highly advanced.  Some of the planets are "Police" planets, Black Market Planets, and planets to inhabit either mixes or single races.  If you have any ideas or comments then please, let me know.  If you want to email them to me, you can do so at reepime@hotmail.com.  Thanks for your time in looking at this.
"Live by the blade, Die by the blade."
              -Last words of and unknown Gladiator

Mark Johnson

Mike Holmes

Hi Rekar, welcome to the Forge,

What Mark means is that you have only a small start, and are looking for most of your system here. If you ask more specific questions, you'll get much better answers. But Mark's point stands. The way to get an idea of what you can do with your system is to read some of the jillion or so RPGs that exist. Any of which might give you an idea of where to start.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Brian Leybourne

One game you might find very useful to read is Dreamwalker.

While I don't really like their system, it may well give you some useful ideas, since Dreamwalker is designed to let characters carry stats and keep the same system from the real (waking) world into the dreamworld. This may be something similar to what you're talking about with a real world and a virtual world.

Or it may not, you have not given us enough information to really help you yet.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Rekar

Well, thanks for the input.  I will be sure to read more into different games.  What I was trying to get as replies, was, Whar is your favorite and least favorite systems, and why you feel that way.  If you could answer those questions for me, I would be greatly pleased.

Valamir

Well, favorites is favorites...doesn't really mean much.

If you want to rephrase your question into something like "what type of mechanics are especially good at doing X" where X is something you have a particular interest in, you'll probably get some more meaningful response.

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

It's great that you're here and asking questions. However, this forum is really intended for games in development, which is to say, games that have some solid mechanics already or something concrete for us to work with. It's not intended for kickin' ideas around in the abstract.

Tell ya what - if you would, please provide some more concrete notions for us to evaluate, and we can continue this thread here, or bring up a generalized or principles-based question on the RPG Theory forum, or both.

Everyone else shuddup until Rekar replies.

Best,
Ron

Mike Holmes

Yes, to re-emphasize Ralph's point, we've found that popularity polls aren't of much use as you'll get a bewildering variety of answers. Which won't really advance your design practically.

Still, if you're looking to guage the pulse of the gaming public, a better method would be to go and read up on that at www.rpg.net. They do this sort of question in spades, and may well welcome more.

Mike

Edited to note cross post with Ron.
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Rekar

Thanks for the info that you have supplied to me.  I am sorry that I have posted this in the wrong spot at the wrong time.  Honestly, this is my first time actually sitting down to create an RPG and I can kinda new at this.  If you wish to give me pointers, then by all means.  I appreciate all the comments and criticism.  I will be sure to include something more solid later.  Well, see ya later, and thanks again.