News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A few questions about TROS

Started by Eamon Voss, April 01, 2003, 09:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamon Voss

I picked up the full version of the game on sunday.  So far I think it great!  I am planning to run a test game set in 'Generica', a French possession in 1500ish England; or was 'Generica' an English possession in 1500ish France?  Who cares!  I can staple it into Wyerth later if I want to, and in the meantime I can play fast and furious with history, sort of like a latter period Pendragon.

So anyway, I have a few questions about the game:

1. How does rounding work during character creation?  Do I round up or down?

2. What's involved in readying a weapon?  I seem to have missed this portion of the rules.

3. When does a missle shot occur in a combat round?  During which exchange of blows?

4. If a player is fighting an enemy, what happens with his buddy looses an arrow or throws an axe into the fray?

Thanks!
Realism in a melee game is not a matter of critical hit charts, but rather the ability to impart upon the player the dynamism of combat.

Ryuuko

Hello Eamon Voss, It's always good to see new people getting into TROS.

Anyway I can't answer all of your questions...I'll leave that to the expets so that I don't screw up; however I can answer a couple.

Quote from: Eamon VossHow does rounding work during character creation? Do I round up or down?

See page 19 at the top of the second column..."All figures are rounded down"

Quote from: Eamon Voss]When does a missle shot occur in a combat round? During which exchange of blows?

I think what your asking is after the rounds of preparation which of the exchanges does the shot actually hit. If this is what your asking then I'd say that it would occur in the first exchange of a round that you say you are firing.

Sorry that I couldn't answer all of them, but I wanted to give you a little...I'll back off for the big boys now :)

Have fun!
"Reality is for those who lack Imagination"

Mokkurkalfe

1) As Ryuuko said. As a side note, we have a house rule saying that you always round to the worse for the person in question.

2) Everything until you get the weapon into aiming position. Basically, when you can start to aim, you have readied your weapon. When this is exactly is described in the weapon tables. As a side note, does anyone have any nifty readying times for getting melee weapons out of their sheaths and such?

3) A projectile is fast, I'd say in beginning of a round. Note that the while projectile is *fired* at the beginning of a round, it may not necessarily reach the target until the next round or exchange.

4) Good one. I'd say it depends on the range. If they fight at Hand or Short range, then there is a risk you might hit your friend. Personally, I'd let the player evade a wayward arrow with a terrain roll. If they are Grappling, It'd be even worse.
If it is a duel with spears OTOH....
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Jake Norwood

Quote from: MokkurkalfeAs a side note, does anyone have any nifty readying times for getting melee weapons out of their sheaths and such?

Driftwood House Rule: I use a terrain roll of the weapon's ATN or DTN, whichever is worse. Many schools teach the "proper" way to draw your longsword, rapier, or whatever, immediately into a useable stance. I also generally assume that doing so equates to a white die, unless the player has a really good explanation or gets several successes on their draw.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Brian Leybourne

Gidday, welcome to the forum!

Most of your questions have already been answered, but I'll just jump in on one of them...

Quote from: Eamon Voss3. When does a missle shot occur in a combat round?  During which exchange of blows?

The house rule I use (and several others here use as well, I understand) is that while missile fire is a factor, round length gets standardised. Usually rounds are variable 1-2 seconds each. If missile fire is being used, I just make all rounds be 2 seconds for that combat. That way, when someone is working out their missile fire, you know down to the exchange when they fire (because each exchange is one second if the round is two seconds).

That makes it pretty easy to work stuff out.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Eamon Voss

To summarize then:

1. You round down on stuff in TROS.

2. It is considered a white action.  Don't do it when you fear someone might be attacking you.  Get the initiative and spend it drawing!  Anyway, make a terrain roll vs the worst of ATN or DTN to get it out quickly.

3. If missiles are being used, extend the turn to 2 whole seconds so you can plot out when the missiles are launched.

4. Launching missiles into melee where your friend is requires some adjucating on the part of the GM.  No hard rules for it.
Realism in a melee game is not a matter of critical hit charts, but rather the ability to impart upon the player the dynamism of combat.

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Eamon Voss4. Launching missiles into melee where your friend is requires some adjucating on the part of the GM.  No hard rules for it.

I wouldn't stress too much over this one. Maybe up the ATN by 1 (or raise the cost in dice by 1) to simulate how extra careful the shooter has to be not to hit their buddy, and then let them go for it.

If they hit, they hit their target. If they miss, then nobody was hit.

If they botch........

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Callan S.

I'd say if you don't want to worry about hitting your comrade, then you treat your target as moving eratically (which is minus three dice). That's enough of a sting, I think.
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>