News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Got a good homebrew?

Started by Kester Pelagius, April 03, 2003, 10:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kester Pelagius

Then why not share it with the rest of us!

Tell us about your current game project, homebrew campaign setting, or share your favorite recipes for homebrew.

Whatever floats your goat!  ;)

(insert home brew recipes here)

Oh, fine, I'll start...

Greetings All,

I currently have a playtest of Revenge of the Crypt Fiend out there.  It's a nice little Halloween Horror game in which you get to play the Wandering Monsters, but what I really want to talk about is my ancient of days campaign world.  It's kind of funny how it developed, there I was, sitting in the bleechers (pause for the kiddies to jump into the way back machine) watching the girl's vollyball team when it hit me!

No, not the ball, came close though.  Then again I wouldn't mind if they handled my *koff* *koff* so, as I was saying, I was sitting in the bleechers, scribbling in my note book, as you do when you're a teen, and came up with two nifty maps.  Ok, I didn't really think they were nifty, but if I used the real slang of my youth that would just date me, wouldn't it?

So, there the scribbles sat till one day when (Ron grab's the remote and fast forwards) so I ended up detailing an entire city twice!  Two versions of the same world for different campaign groups.  It was great cuz the games had developed in unique directions which allowed me to use most of the same material, albeit with slightly different world events and gods, to create two 'parallel' realities.

Least that is how I finally ended up explaing the differences.

So, anyone else out there who ran their own campaigns with more than one group ever do this?

Kind Regards,

Kester Pelagius
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -Dante Alighieri

J. Backman

Quote from: Kester Pelagius(...) I wouldn't mind if they handled my *koff* *koff* so, as I was saying (...)

Which reminds me, we have a beer named Koff here in Finland. So handling someones Koff would be an extremely serious offense.
Pasi Juhani Backman

Anonymous

Untitled : A game of modern horror
Everything evolves. So it has been written and so it will be, from now, forever more. The survival of the fittest, the dieing of the wretched and diseased, the culling of the weak. Bastard's beg for mercy, with pin point carpet bombing precision, they are surgically removed from this place, this world, this life.

Reality is evolving, it has always evolved, but only now, at its tender age, has its birth deffect become so blindingly apparent. Reality is fucked, but its not going down without you. Slowly it is culling itself, in a ritualistic act of self mutilation, it is cutting out the bad, the weak, the bastard, the skewed and changing itself, striving for the peak of perfection. Humanity, with all its flaws, doesn't fit into that grandious image of how things should be. Reality is on its way out, and your going too.

Reality is culling you, just like it always has. Will you run? Like the bastard offspring you are, or will you stand, and fight it? In a hopeless attempt to resist the culling that has existed for so long.

Reality changes, it swoops and it moves, it seethes and it wretches like a drunk on a corner, begging you for change because they've forgotten about their bulging wallet.

Reality gave you powers, it touched you, like a boy who plays with a wingless fly before he squashes it. Reality is playing with the players. Giving them a hope. The players, of course dont know this.

The government knows about reality, about how it plans to wipe out humanity, about the culling. They dont want this, that is where the players come in.

You lead a normal childhood, then one day around the age of puberty,something happened, you were doing something you did everyday. Something completley normal. But this time something different happened. The government came, they took you, trained you, told you how to use your powers, one day you were innocent, wishing for some conspiracy to sweep you off your feet, the next you were unbelieving the truth, wanting a speedy grave.

You were trained, taught to harness your psychic skills, taught to shoot a gun, taught to throw a punch. More so in some than other.

Alas, some people were not taken by the government. Their powers remained unchecked, they lost control. They slaughtered, pillaged and plundered. Killed their family, killed their loved ones, the only thoughts in their head were those of survival. Kill or be Killed.

These creatures slowly lost their humanity, they changed, melded and became unlike humans. Tall and thin, with long scraggly hair and talons. The Daemons , animalistic predators who stalked through the night, feeding on the gifted, feeding on humanity. Ready to cull.

Dark clouds thunder overhead, Rain patters down constantly onto broken ceramic concrete streets. Buildings stand overhead like constant reminders of what humanity once was.

ethan_greer

I don't have a title for it, so I'll call it Wortle1.

Wortle1 is a fantasy game in which the characters are average schleps.  No special abilities like magic, psionics, divine favor, none of that, although these elements exist in the setting.

I have no idea how I'm going to pull it off.

Kester Pelagius

Greetings J. Backman,

Quote from: J. Backman
Quote from: Kester Pelagius(...) I wouldn't mind if they handled my *koff* *koff* so, as I was saying (...)

Which reminds me, we have a beer named Koff here in Finland. So handling someones Koff would be an extremely serious offense.

*blinks*

Really?

You're in Finland?

Isn't that where the Kalevala was written?

Kind Regards,

Kester Pelagius
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -Dante Alighieri

Kester Pelagius

Greetings ethan,

Quote from: ethan_greerI don't have a title for it, so I'll call it Wortle1.

Wortle1 is a fantasy game in which the characters are average schleps.  No special abilities like magic, psionics, divine favor, none of that, although these elements exist in the setting.

I have no idea how I'm going to pull it off.

It's easy!

Wortle1: The Game of Distractions (a storyteller game)

Game Mechancis: point distribution

Stats:  Schlep (below average, average, etc); Unspecial Abilities (tying shoelaces, combing hair, looking at the pictures in magazines, etc)

Metagame Premise: characters are average everyday folks who must fight against their innate Schlep factor and their total lack of special abilities to discover what existance (in the setting) is really about!

Er, uh, ahm, hmm.... or something.  ;)

Kind Regards,

Kester Pelagius

ethan_greer

Wow, Kester, that's just... Heartbreaking... :D

J. Backman

Quote from: Kester Pelagius
Quote from: J. BackmanWhich reminds me, we have a beer named Koff here in Finland. So handling someones Koff would be an extremely serious offense.

*blinks*

Really?

You're in Finland?

Indeed it was written here. I still consider it one of the great European epics. I'm also surprised there aren't more role-playing games based around the Kalevalan myths.
Pasi Juhani Backman

Kester Pelagius

Greetings,

Ah, I see.  Board wont let you log in since it has guest accounts set up...

*block saving text*

*logged in now copy/pasting*

*sighing with relief*

Quote from: J. Backman
Quote from: Kester Pelagius
Quote from: J. BackmanWhich reminds me, we have a beer named Koff here in Finland. So handling someones Koff would be an extremely serious offense.

*blinks*

Really?

You're in Finland?

Indeed it was written here. I still consider it one of the great European epics. I'm also surprised there aren't more role-playing games based around the Kalevalan myths.

That's probably because few people have heard about the Kalevala and, of those who have, they're probably like me.  Possessed of less than a Edit Hamilton introductory level knowledge on the subject.

Speaking of which I should probably go google that.  Hmm.  :)

Now all we need is for someone to come along, read these posts, and realize what a mine of potential new gaming ideas they might find in that and run with it!

Kind Regards,

Kester Pelagius

J. Backman

Quote from: Kester PelagiusThat's probably because few people have heard about the Kalevala and, of those who have, they're probably like me.  Possessed of less than a Edit Hamilton introductory level knowledge on the subject.

Speaking of which I should probably go google that.  Hmm.  :)

Now all we need is for someone to come along, read these posts, and realize what a mine of potential new gaming ideas they might find in that and run with it!

And for all those who are right now realizing what a mine of potential new gaming ideas The Kalevala might be (after all, it was a huge inspiration for Tolkien!), here's a link to an English translation (not the best possible transl. but it'll do) --

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/kveng/

And here's the same thing in Finnish, just in case someone's curious --

http://www.lysator.liu.se/runeberg/kalevala/.
Pasi Juhani Backman

ethan_greer

Hey Guest, with your Untitled:  That sounds cool.  So, the players play characters who fight with reality in its bid to irradicate humanity.  Kickin'!  Consider this an invitation to bring this up in the Indie Design forum.