News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Gen Con Indy

Started by johnsoga, April 17, 2003, 01:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnsoga

I haven't been able to find any TROS games being run at Gen Con Indy.  I was hoping that the creaters could run a game, Hint Hint.  Is there anyone planning on going to Gen Con that would want to play and/or run an adventure.

Durgil

Living on the East side of Indy, I am planning on attending.  I would love to play a game, but with this latest edition to the Hamilton Clan this past February, I won't have the time to GM anything.

I also hope to meet a few of the people from this list there!
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.

Eamon Voss

I had hoped to get to GenCon.  There, I planned to either join games or perhaps even run some unscheduled stuff (didn't sign up in time).  Alas, my sister-in-law needed a serious dose of cash thanks to her lame ex-husband refusing to pay child support.  So all my vacation money this year for GenCon, DragonCon, and Two Weeks In Jamaica is gone.

%@#&*!
Realism in a melee game is not a matter of critical hit charts, but rather the ability to impart upon the player the dynamism of combat.

Valamir

You're a nicer guy than I am Eamon...I would have sent her a post card from the beach...:-)

Eamon Voss

Quote from: ValamirYou're a nicer guy than I am Eamon...I would have sent her a post card from the beach...:-)

The thought did occur.  It really did.  The problem then would be the wife and the ostracization from both sides of my family.  If she lost her place of residence while I partied in the Gulf of Mexico to the sound of steel drum bands, everyone would have hated me.

Realistically, at this point, I think there is only one thing to do:

Go back in time and become a landsnecht fighter, running around with a doppelsword in brightly colored striped pants.
Realism in a melee game is not a matter of critical hit charts, but rather the ability to impart upon the player the dynamism of combat.

Bob Richter

...Really I would, but I don't think I'll be able to afford it.

Drat double-damn it anyway!

Even getting myself out there by Greyhound (which is inexpensive but takes some time) I have no idea where I'd stay or what it'd cost...
So ye wanna go earnin' yer keep with yer sword, and ye think that it can't be too hard...

Ron Edwards

Hi guys,

Y'all really ought to get into the General Forums once in a while. Several threads discuss GenCon 2003, the Forge booth, Driftwood's presence, there, and all about the demo game policy at the booth.

Suffice to say that TROS will be playing continuously through four days of convention, probably multiple groups at once.

Best,
Ron

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Bob Richter...Really I would, but I don't think I'll be able to afford it.

Drat double-damn it anyway!

Even getting myself out there by Greyhound (which is inexpensive but takes some time) I have no idea where I'd stay or what it'd cost...

Lots of information online on this subject. And you might be able to find someone on this forum or elsewhere with whom to share hotel rooms. Badge is $55 for all 4 days if you preregister (and only five more onsite). Sharing a room ought to cost less than $40 a day if you work on it. So, worst case, you're looking at $200 in basic expenses. Add on another $100 for eating frugally over four days. Then add $100 dollars for events and random expenses.

So, if you've got $400 and then enough for the bus tickets. You can do GenCon easy (I've personally done it on half that some years, and that includes Cons outside of Milwaukee). All in all it's a pretty cheap four days for the fun to be had. Make the effort.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Eamon Voss

Quote from: Mike Holmes
Quote from: Bob RichterSo, if you've got $400 and then enough for the bus tickets. You can do GenCon easy (I've personally done it on half that some years, and that includes Cons outside of Milwaukee). All in all it's a pretty cheap four days for the fun to be had. Make the effort.

Thanks Mike.  Maybe I can work it out.  It would be like my college days to go on a trip this way.

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Eamon VossThanks Mike.  Maybe I can work it out.  It would be like my college days to go on a trip this way.
Right. If you need to do it on the cheap, that's precisely the way to think about it. Thus is asked the perennial question: How many people would you feel comfortable sleeping with in a single? :-)

It's certainly possible to get costs down to less than $15 a night if you're flexible and lower your standards.

I'm lucky that GenCon was in my home town forever, and as it happens I have a good friend who lives in Indianapolis who's putting me up for free.

Food costs are a real issue. If you buy nothing but Convention Center food, expect to pay an arm and a leg for drek (I can't actually speak for Indy's service, but I can't imagine why it would be different). So to eat cheap, bring supplies from your local grocery store, or make runs while you're there. At the very least try to get out of the Center to eat occasionally (Ralph mentioned some superlative steak joint, but I'm betting that's not a frugal alternative). In any case, you probably want to have enough money for at least one nice meal, assuming that you'll be hanging with someone else who will want one at some point. But it's not absolutely neccessary.

Rooms at the Convention Center appear to be plentiful (one of the reasons for the move). So you don't have to worry about parking costs assuming you can keep your transportation at the hotel (I'll have to worry about that). The other big random expense is, of course, the exhibitors area. Sure one can forego purchases. But it's not easy I tell ya! Remember ot budget in any purchases you'll be making.

I dunno, those are the thoughts that come to me about expenses. Hell, sometimes you get so wrapped up in games that you miss meals entirely (yeah, even me). So it's not easy to get an exact figure. But it's certainly not impossible to keep your costs low.

And play at The Forge booth will be worth the trip, I can almost garuntee; not to mention everything else.  

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.