News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I want a hardcopy of Trollbabe

Started by ethan_greer, April 10, 2003, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clinton R. Nixon

It sounds like a new product to me - I'd charge full price.

Now, part of that is I bring a separate ethics issue with me: buying a creator-owned RPG is as much supporting the creator as buying a product. And I'd support the creator of Trollbabe to the tune of $20, no problem.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Blake Hutchins

What Clinton says.  Discount is nice, but I think there's a distinct difference between a .pdf and a full-blown hard copy.  Plus there's the desire to support independents.

Best,

Blake

Wulf

With new material and scenarios and examples, I'd happily pay $20 (plus some ridiculous postage fee to Scotland, I suppose...).

Hey, how about a comic strip annotated with play notes?

Wulf

Valamir

Quote from: Wulf
Hey, how about a comic strip annotated with play notes?
Wulf

Ohhh.  Any thought about including the comic strips in the book, or would that violate arrangements with the artists?

Spooky Fanboy

I would like a hardcopy of this game.
Proudly having no idea what he's doing since 1970!

ethan_greer

Ron, I'll agree with you that D&D 3.5 is kinda fucked.  Perhaps not a good example, since a lot of people have pretty strong opinions about that particular product, myself included.  You bring up the WW 2nd edition games, though, too, and I see that as a little different, and I'm not sure why.  Screw all that, though - we're talking about Trollbabe, and what you want to do, not what other companies are doing or have done.

Anyway, my position is that the Trollbabe hardcopy product you describe is a legitimately new product, and it is well within reason to charge full price for it.  I'd pay it.  If you decide to offer a price reduction for customers of the PDF version, that's no skin off my ass, and a pretty doggone nice thing to do.

Rock on.

rafial

As a purchaser of the Trollbabe PDF, and somebody who'd definitely be interested in a nicely printed copy of Trollbabe, I'm in favor of small credit for PDF purchasers.

Partly because it might save me a couple bucks of course :) but also because it gives me that "warm glow" that an author actually has some respect and appretiation for his or her fan base, rather than being all "buy my game, pigs!"

:) :) :)

Mmmm... The Judy Tenuta RPG.  Now there is a product the world is crying out for.

Bob McNamee

I just purchased Trollbabe a couple weeks back (at the same time we played the Elfs game). I'd be happy to pay about 20 for a bound version with even more play descriptions.

I'd say it sounds like there's enough extra value to not need a price break...being a bound book is extra value too.

Hmm, the social roll...at first I was very in favor of keeping it the same(I like Social being the best roll), but it really does favor 2,3,4,7,8,and 9's in play doesn't it. Rolls that are already a high chance for success.
[edit- you could leave the Social, Fighting, and Magic categories off the roll types... 1 to N-1, n+1 to 10, lowest plus the N...then let the players assign which roll type has which Category. This way you could have some folk with Social as their highest prob, or Fighting as the middle prob etc]

Trollbabe play on indie-netgaming has been good so far with Paganini and Chris Edwards. A bit slow as I flip through the rules (learning curve). The medium of typed text is slower too.
So far so good with two pretty short sessions (I had limited time), I'll be compiling the Narration and Out of character logs for those first two sessions soon. I'd like to put both Logs on the same page in separate columns matched with time entered, to get a sense of 'Free and Clear', dice rolls, and such.
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!

James V. West

Getting Trollbabe in print would be like having your favorite band play a live gig at your house. Sounds good to me.

Tim C Koppang

More of the same:

I like hardback books, and Trollbabe as a hardback book is great.  If it costs me $20 then I'll probably end up paying for it in the end--even without a price break.

Incidently, it's not the fact that I payed $10 for the pdf that would make me want a discount, but rather it's the cost of Kinkos.  I already shelled out some extra cash for printing and binding.  Now it's kind of like: damn I shoulda waited and saved my cash.  But of course that's not anyone's fault but my own.

ethan_greer

Oh and by the way, Ron, does your question mean that you're going to actually go ahead with a hardcopy Trollbabe run?

Ron Edwards

Hello all my friends ...

[sudden shift to savagery] Quit calling it a damn discount! [snap back to very innocent expression]

The news is, I'd like to, but I'm not 100% yet. Part of it involves getting a new artist on board; I know who I want, but I don't have her commitment yet.

Some thoughts about it include (1) including some of the comics with the artists' permission, (2) revamping and expanding some examples, (3) clarifying the Modifiers rules, and (4) maybe pontificating a bit on the "way it looks" during play as an introduction.

Best,
Ron