News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Important Annoucement

Started by Le Joueur, April 09, 2003, 10:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Le Joueur

Scattershot is undergoing a major rewrite; I've taken it back to formula.  Don't worry, none of the parts will change, just the presentation (and a major, if defining, addition).

If you want to follow along, it's coming out here bit by bit.

My time's been even more limited than ever before.  See ya!

Fang Langford
Fang Langford is the creator of Scattershot presents: Universe 6 - The World of the Modern Fantastic.  Please stop by and help!

Ron Edwards

Hi Fang,

In your writeup, you have:

QuoteI've conceived of 'task resolution' as particles of In Context Complication resolution

Yup. See Hero Wars, Trollbabe, The Pool, and Extreme Vengeance. This is the core philosophy of resolution in all these games.

Also, praises & joy to you, 'cause I think this very act of deconstruction is exactly what you and the game needed. Looking forward to the next step.

Best,
Ron

Valamir

It warms my heart to see gratuitous capitalization of Complication in print.
:-)

QuoteI've already got a bunch of work done dealing with the relationship between Scenes and Complications (hint: don't have one without the other)

If I ever do a full rewrite of Universalis, this would be an area that I focus on.  Currently, Complications in scenes arise only by player whim.  But if there is one trend I've noticed between scenes that are powerful and scenes that fall flat in Uni...is the powerful ones are the ones that are framed from the beginning to drive towards a certain Complication and resolution thereof...the ones without Complication or where its an "incidental" thing lack the oomph.

I'm very interested in seeing how you link these two together mechanically in Scattershot.

Le Joueur

Hey Ron,

"Beggar that I am, I am even poor in thanks...."

Quote from: Ron Edwards
Quote from: FangI've conceived of 'task resolution' as particles of In Context Complication resolution
...See Hero Wars, Trollbabe, The Pool, and Extreme Vengeance. This is the core philosophy of resolution in all these games.
Wish I could.

Fang Langford

p. s. Does anyone owning these live in the midwest?  Nearby even?
Fang Langford is the creator of Scattershot presents: Universe 6 - The World of the Modern Fantastic.  Please stop by and help!

greyorm

I do, Fang -- except for Hero Wars.
And I only live about two-and-half-hours from you (if that).
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Le JoueurWish I could.
You mean other than The Pool, right?

http://www.randomordercreations.com/thepool.html

The free quickstart of HW from Glorantha.com probably doesn't have pertinent text, but you might be able to assuce from the rules.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.