News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

D6 Gimmick

Started by Shieldage, April 04, 2003, 10:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shieldage

Okay, I gather from the posts that you guys have had past experience with something similiar and gotten sick of the subject.  Understood and moving on.

Er, I found a loophole in the D6 rule Add-On.  It is very cool that (1,3,5) has the same average sum as (1,2,3,4,5), the odds match the succeses on the d10s, but I've noticed that things are different for Edge. D6 failures (2,4,6) can't give you some bonus coins you can get from d10 Edge die (6,7,8,9,10) [Average sum? 4 vs. 8].  You're short-changing yourself.

You could add four to any Edge D6 failures [(2,4,6) + (4) = (6,8,10)], another work-around is keeping a handful of D10's to use as Edge die (they're supposed to be a different color anyway). (:

-edited twice to recalculate
Yeah, I'm an armchair gamer.  But, give me a week. Though a year might be nice (:

Valamir

I split this off because I think it deserves a topic of its own.

I missed the fact that the Coins are off from the Edge die...

I like the extra d10 to use idea.

But...I'm wondering if it makes enough difference to be worth makeing adjustment for, or just live with the lesser amount.

Thoughts?

Mike Holmes

I noticed the difference, but didn't think it substantial. Truth be told, I play that the edge dice are just additional dice like any other. Simpler, though maybe less satisfying. I've never seen anyone notice it.

BTW, I assume this was transplanted from the Fairytale post? It's not that I'm uninterested because it's been discussed. I just don't understand what you're talking about, I think. I sometimes wonder if you have a very different idea of what play looks like than we do. I'm not sure what discussing elements of actual stories in terms of Universalis does for play.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Paganini

Hey,

Even if the slight variation actually bother's you, I don't think it's that difficult to fix. Don't have my book handy, but isn't the idea that an Edge Die gives you coins even if that particular die isn't successful? In that case, to get the same range as the regular dice, just round an even-result Edge Die down to the nearest odd number.

Mike Holmes

Wrong problem, Nathan.

The problem is that a d10 goes to 10, and a d6 only goes to 6. Thus and edge d10 has much more potential than an edge d6. Essentially, it averages 5.5 Coins. So to get a d6 to average the same is problematic.

But my point is that people already have anough incentive to do Complications, even without the edge dice rule at all (that was thrown in as a way to make ties more cool). So, given that the d6 version gives something, that should suffice to make it functional.

Mike

Valamir

QuoteIf you have a 1 die complication and you get an edge die that gives you an extra 8 Coins...it is a big deal.
And the fewer dice you have, the more likely it is to occur.

I like that alteration with the "must spend" caveat.

In any case, this certainly poses no problems for the d6 Gimmick.

Mike

rafial

...about edge dice when I first help propose the d6 gimmick.  That was because in all the Universalis I've played, I don't think I've ever seen an edge die rolled :)

This may be an effect of scale.  I could see ties happening enough to be noticible if you are rolling one or two dice in complications, but in our play, even small complications tend to get up to four or five dice.

Mike Holmes

Oops. It looks like I edited Ralph's post out somehow. I didn't even know that was possible. I was trying to quote him (and indeed I did). Weird.

Anyhow, Rafial, my complications range in the 4 to 8 die range typically, and I find I get ties occasionally in the 4 to 5 range. Actually the odds of getting a tie on four dice v four dice are over 25%.

Mike

Shieldage

Hi there, took a couple days off.  Hey, Thanks.

You're right, adjusting the die does make Complications more complicated...  Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with the rule, just kinda working around the workaround.  My preference may not be yours, though I'm not saying I'm not going to go ahead splurge on some nice shiny D10s anyway (:

Oh yeah.  Mike, the first sentence refers to my posts on 'New Gimmicks', just backing off easy like.  No bad feelings on the second count either.  Eh, sorry if I come off erratic, I'm still working on my social/organizing skills.  Got a big chance to use them tomorrow, though.

See y'all later.

-Eh, edited 'bout twice for chain of thought
Yeah, I'm an armchair gamer.  But, give me a week. Though a year might be nice (: