News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The indie-netgaming folks are playing Trollbabe

Started by Bob McNamee, April 12, 2003, 10:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob McNamee

Oops, sorry I worded that so bad!

Heh, I can see that now when I read it. Didn't occur to me at the time.

Ok here's a question.
From page 12 example "Retta's watching out for skulking thugs" The GM says "We have a conflict" Goal-"to make sure nothing's there". This means success equals "nothing there".

What's the action type?
That's where it got tough for Nathan to decide on an action type.

He was well ahead of the zombies , who were attracted to him because he was mimicking the life force of the spy that they were fixated on (from a previous conflict), leading them away into the wilds while the spy went on to the capital with his captive. Nathan said something like "Eventually, She realizes that they will run her down and decides to evade them before she must fight them." She had enough lead to make it any action type really.

I brought the Social aspect in because she used a remembered spell in "Life force mimic" spell, that overlayed their minds with the illusion of her mimicked life force. She was discommmoded by having "feeling them looking for her, hungering with thoughts of slaying. Any time she lets her mind go blank, they are there."

I had this let her begin mentally speaking back at the zombies in the following conflict..."I'm not who you seek...etc"

Anyway it worked out well. It just wasn't a very straight forward decision. Perhaps it came out better for it. Needing to stretch for an answer came out with a more creative description.
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!

C. Edwards

Bah! There's only one way to handle zombies and it doesn't include talking to them. ;)

I've really been pleasantly surprised by Trollbabe. It almost plays itself. The reroll and pacing mechanics are just beautiful. I'll stop gushing now.

-Chris

Bob McNamee

Yeah, what he said!

For the lurkers etc...

I'm moving Trollbabe starting this Monday 8 CDT from the #indierpgs and #indie_ooc rooms at Magicstar IRC... to #bobsgame_nar and #bobsgame_ooc rooms at Magicstar IRC.

This frees up the regular rooms for more rotating indie gaming again!
Bob McNamee

rafial

I'd just like to say thanks for taking the effort to format and post your IRC logs.  They are a super valuable resource.  I've been reading along, and being able to watch how the OOC negotiation between GM and players turns into IC narration has really made several aspects of Trollbabe just pop out for me.  I'm greatly looking forward to further adventures.

Bob McNamee

Thanks,

Hopefully, we're actually playing the game right,or we might teach folks bad habits! :>

This is one game I thought it would be crucial to see what was going on in OOC. You need to know what was the Goal, Pace, and when rolls occur, to see the game system with Trollbabe. For other games the narration log is good enough, or, with something like Universalis- looking at the Narration file and the Support file is enough to see what's happened and begin playing a new session.

I really wanted to be able to look back later and see why things were going on, as well as have a file that Ron could look at, in case I really got into mental trouble over the game (in case I was just plain playing wrong).

Thanks for reading it!

Edited in: It also gives a good sense of what an on-line game looks like to the participants.
Bob McNamee

Bob McNamee

We played again tonight.

Well, Failed action again!

Chris's character Yulari woke up tied to a bed (Healed I later decided).
Chris Wanted an Action by Action pace Fighting conflict to break out and punish the Hermit (who wants to keep her as his 'lady'). Broke out ok...then was injured and incapacitated again over the next two Series, while getting the Page killed.

Yikes, fighting while injured is very dangerous! Especially, when you're rolling the way Chris has the last two conflicts.  :>

So now she being flown to the deepest part of the Hermit's caverns by fire monkeys, while the hermit cackles with laughter.

Cue banjo music...

The Regent was saved by Arica.
Nathan's Arica just made a bad guy/assassin-type her love interest... which should get fun fast.

Lord Gorgehart's army is nearly upon the capital now, and Arica's zombies are still coming in just a short while too...next session (tomorrow) should be quite something! The Regent was saved by Arica

Game observation---other than saving Rerolls for later, or, wanting to change the Action Type,or, really wanting to narrate that Injured Failure--- there seems to be no advantage to not always rolling a Reroll when you are at Injured level...either way your next Failed roll in a multiple roll Pace will result in Incapacitate. This seems a bit odd, and to some extent it would be nice to have a bit of lee way if you defer, but it makes sense too that fighting Injured would get bad really fast.

edited for late night typos
Bob McNamee

Ron Edwards

Hi Bob,

Sounds like it's about time to take the hermit as an Enemy, which means using him for re-rolls and gaining player-power over what he does.

H'm? Is my suspicion correct that no one thought of this? That old habits about [GM-owns-NPCs = plot] crept into play ...?

Best,
Ron

Bob McNamee

Quote from: Ron EdwardsHi Bob,

Sounds like it's about time to take the hermit as an Enemy, which means using him for re-rolls and gaining player-power over what he does.

H'm? Is my suspicion correct that no one thought of this? That old habits about [GM-owns-NPCs = plot] crept into play ...?

Best,
Ron

I suggested it a couple of times...

But I don't think Chris expects him to live very much longer!  :)

Course, if he keeps rolling like this, Yulari might find herself in a "shotgun" wedding to Loony Lou...
Bob McNamee

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

Does Chris realize that the best way to kill an Enemy is to take him or her as a Relationship, then hurl the Enemy into conflicts as "buffer-first" in the way described in the rules?

Best,
Ron

Bankuei

QuoteDoes Chris realize that the best way to kill an Enemy is to take him or her as a Relationship, then hurl the Enemy into conflicts as "buffer-first" in the way described in the rules?

...and the sinister Mr. Edwards sneaks yet another nifty thing into his game via his patented Stealth Mechanics(TM) method!

Geez Ron...

Chris

Bob McNamee

I doubt it, since I hadn't even considered that myself!

You either win the Rolls. In case the Babe kills the Hermit...
or
You get incapacitated, and your Relationship dies!

Wow!

Chris...there you go....a one Conflict walking dead guy!

Thanks Ron!
Bob McNamee